• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Subsistence allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subsistence allowance

I've only been contacting for a year or so and going through an umbrella. I've been submitting a daily allowance for subsistence @ £9.89 per day without receipts as advised. The problem is my payroll number has been singled out for inspection by the tax man. I have no receipts. Has anyone else had this?

There's no such thing as 'allowances' only receipted expenses. Your umbrella co may have an agreement that they don't need to hold the receipts but that doesn't mean you don't have to have them.

Hector's going to tear you a new one. Luckily, you've only been 'at it' a short time so the back-tax and fine shouldn't be too bad.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      There's no such thing as 'allowances' only receipted expenses. Your umbrella co may have an agreement that they don't need to hold the receipts but that doesn't mean you don't have to have them.

Hector's going to tear you a new one. Luckily, you've only been 'at it' a short time so the back-tax and fine shouldn't be too bad.
      His mum could make him sandwiches and legitimately charge him £9.89 per day. He can ask his mum for receipts.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The umbrella company I appointed advised me to claim the full daily subsistence allowance without receipts. I am trying to arrange a meeting with the MD of the umbrella company to discuss this.

Comment

If you can't do the time don't do the crime.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TheDragon View Post
            The umbrella company I appointed advised me to claim the full daily subsistence allowance without receipts. I am trying to arrange a meeting with the MD of the umbrella company to discuss this.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

So what you are saying is you're a filthy tax dodger.

I know it might seem a little leftfield to some but I claim for expenses I've actually incurred, kept me out of prison.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                So what you are saying is you're a filthy tax dodger.

I know it might seem a little leftfield to some but I claim for expenses I've actually incurred, kept me out of prison.
                Yep, like most IT contractors. However, this one is in the hands of the brolly not me.

Comment

Yep, like most IT contractors. However, this one is in the hands of the brolly not me.

You took the advice: thats your fault I am sorry to say, the brolly won't be paying any fine: HMRC are after you not the brolly
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

I think you'll find a vast majority of IT contractors claim legitimate expenses as ultimately the buck stops with the claimant not the advisor.

Why do people come into contracting thinking it's a big fiddle? It must be the small pond permy mentality that can't grasp a different way of working.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X