• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very good life indeed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good life indeed

For a Tory MP.

Edwina Currie reduces struggling mother to tears live on the radio by putting her debts down to living 'a very good life indeed'

Former Tory MP Edwina Currie left a struggling mother of two in tears on live radio by saying she was in debt because she had 'lived a very good life indeed'.

The author and broadcaster clashed with Hayley Sanderson after the 24-year-old mother claimed she regularly went hungry to feed her children.

Ms Sanderson, from Ilkeston, said she and her partner go without an evening meal once or twice a week to make sure there is enough food for their children, aged seven months and four.

But Oxford-educated Mrs Currie suggested the Derbyshire mother’s financial problems were down to the fact she had previously 'lived life to the full'.

'When the money was coming in - this sounds like there were two salaries coming in, and no savings, life was being lived to the full - and a very good life indeed,' said former junior health secretary Mrs Currie in a Radio 5 Live phone-in yesterday.

'But when that’s no longer the case, when there’s no longer money coming in, you have to evaluate whether you are going to be able to get back to the good life quickly or not. In which case, you are going to have to think about maybe declaring yourselves bankrupt.'

The tearful young mother, who had told Mrs Currie she had no credit cards, catalogue debts or satellite television, hit back.

'Edwina, I’ve never lived life to the full. I don’t go out every weekend. You’ve really upset me,' she said, bursting into tears.

'We don’t buy clothes on a weekly basis. We’ve never lived life to the full.

'I never said I’ve borrowed money from anywhere. I’m paying off old bills like council tax.'

-------

Mrs Currie, who took part in a debate on poverty at a Birmingham’s church last year, owns two dogs herself - Sheba, a six-year-old German Shepherd, and George, a five-year-old chocolate Lab.

In October, Mrs Currie showed off her luxurious home and pampered pets, revealing dark wood furniture and plush oriental rugs. Proudly displaying souvenirs from foreign holidays she gestured to her Spitting Image puppet, saying: 'When it came up for sale at Sotheby’s I couldn’t resist it – a snip at £300.'

-------

It is not the first time Mrs Currie, who has published ten books since working in government, has offended people living in poverty or scraping by on low incomes.

In October she told 5 Live: 'Are you telling me people in this country are going hungry? Seriously? Seriously?' and said she 'had great difficulty' believing that people in Britain went without food.

In November she slammed a campaign to encourage wealthy pensioners to give their winter fuel allowance to the Community Foundation Network to help others less able to pay their bills.

'By all means give to charity,' she wrote in The Times. 'But do not be blackmailed into giving it to this particular organisation. The CFN is a huge operation with £220m in endowments, according to its website.

-------

Source: Edwina Currie reduces struggling mother to tears live on the radio by putting her debts down to her living 'a very good life indeed' | Mail Online

What a fat ugly old rich Tory cow she is.

Yes, Mrs Currie will fit in well on here.

Mod. Please issue Edwina Currie with an honorary lifetime membership of CUK.

Comment

Agree, for the most part with Edwina. It is a shame the parents cannot be prosecuted for child abuse. I wish they could.

Myself and the OH deplore people, of whom we know plenty, who have children when they:
      - Cant afford it on their own without sponging off the state.
      - Know of medical issues that will cause suffering on the child but go ahead anyway because they think "every child is a blessing" and discount the cruelty they inflict upon another soul.
      - Have problems in their personal life or relationship and think a child will fix it. Speak to any parent, it sure as hell wont!

Comment

People go without food for their kids because they've spent their money on fags, booze , Sky TV, Games consoles and mobile telephones all of which are 'hooman rights'.

So yes she's wrong and right.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Incredible incredulity.

Amazing there's people in enough numbers to vote for this way of thinking.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            People go without food for their kids because they've spent their money on fags, booze , Sky TV, Games
            From the article:

"The tearful young mother, who had told Mrs Currie she had no credit cards, catalogue debts or satellite television, hit back."

Does not even matter if she is a drug addict - rich b1tch like that tory cow would not understand what is it to stay hungry for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Incredible incredulity.

I've seen it. I lived in one of the roughest council estates on the west coast for years. I've got no problem fitting in with people up the economic scale, but to me the argument of no food is laughable. I've watched people piss their weekly money up the wall. Go round to peoples house with CDs/DVDs up to the roof with the latest kit saying their skint. Been moaned to by single mums puffing away 20 fags a day. Watched my own nephews get tatooed to the high
              heavens, sit on their arses watching telly all year for years and then blame the government for being out of work!

Nobody on benefits is unable to feed themselves & families if they act responsibly.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I lived in one of the roughest council estates on the west coast for years.
                That explains it all!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Incredible incredulity.

Riddle me this then:

Why if the person is struggling to pay their bills (backlogged council tax, etc), would they have a child?

If one cannot afford to support themselves, what makes them think they can support a child?

Comment

Nobody on benefits is unable to feed themselves & families if they act responsibly.
                    Indeed.

I get very annoyed that people on benefits have the cheek to moan they dont get enough money. They should be licking our feet.

Ive heard the standard excuse, like one on welfare that said they were only getting £100 pw. But that was after all their bills (rent, water, gas, council tax, etc) was paid for them.

In previous years, myself and the OH never had £400 to blow to the wind on food and booze each month. When we were younger, often we'd scrape even and get by on less than £10pw food between both of us.

Ungrateful fookwit scroungers. Really do despise them.

Comment

Working...
                    X