• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deflation news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deflation news

Diesel prices hit record high of 143.05p a litre, says AA

Price for diesel at pumps now averages 143.05p a litre - nearly 30p more per litre than two years ago

Source: Diesel prices have soared back to within 0.2p of record high, says AA report | Mail Online

You should see the speed of price increase of Sainsbury's value brands. More like 30% per week.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      You should see the speed of price increase of Sainsbury's value brands. More like 30% per week.
      I shop strictly as Harrods and have not noticed any increase in prices of black caviar and other essential day to day items.

sasguru

Comment

Looking at the graph, did prices really drop that much around august 08 to august 09?

I don't remember seeing them coming down at all, beyond the token few pence, and even then prices soon went back up.

How soon till we get subsidised petrol prices via the Falklands oil field, or will prices be kept artificially high as usual?

As for petrol v diesel, I'm glad there are plenty of mugs that think diesel cars are the best bet when they're only doing the national average of 12k miles/year and often a lot less, paying around 10p/litre more, paying more for servicing, having reliability problems with DPFs and complicated injection systems, and having to drive something that sounds like a tractor.

It means all those lovely big engined petrol cars are a bargain after some mug has paid the first hit in depreciation.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Looking at the graph, did prices really drop that much around august 08 to august 09?

I don't remember seeing them coming down at all, beyond the token few pence, and even then prices soon went back up.

How soon till we get subsidised petrol prices via the Falklands oil field, or will prices be kept artificially high as usual?

As for petrol v diesel, I'm glad there are plenty of mugs that think diesel cars are the best bet when they're only doing the national average of 12k miles/year and often a lot less, paying around 10p/litre more, paying more for servicing, having reliability problems with DPFs and complicated injection systems, and having to drive something that sounds like a tractor.

It means all those lovely big engined petrol cars are a bargain after some mug has paid the first hit in depreciation.
          I had my Ford Mondeo diesel for about 10 years and didn't even need to buy spark plugs, but granted the prevailing rumour is that diesels are more expensive to maintain. Suspension went in the end, but still miss that fuel sipping miser of a car. Diesel was cheaper than petrol then too.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

Yeah, sure looks this way.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              I had my Ford Mondeo diesel for about 10 years and didn't even need to buy spark plugs
              There should not be any spark plugs used in a diesel engine surely?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                There should not be any spark plugs used in a diesel engine surely?
                Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Diesel prices hit record high of 143.05p a litre, says AA
                  My local garage charges 149.9

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    My local garage charges 149.9
                    Shell performance diesel is even more!

Comment

Working...
                    X