• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goldman Sach programmer released

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goldman Sach programmer released

Ex-Goldman Programmer Aleynikov

the geek is victorious
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Interesting turn of events.

Comment

Originally posted by The article
      On his last day of work at New York-based Goldman Sachs in June 2009, Aleynikov uploaded hundreds of thousands of lines of source code from the firm’s high-frequency trading system, prosecutors said.

He circumvented Goldman Sachs’s security, sent the code to a server in Germany, compressed and encrypted it, and took it with him to a meeting with new employers in Chicago, the U.S. said. Prosecutors argued Aleynikov wanted it as a “cheat sheet” to start a trading system at his new job.
      Oi aTw, what would you do if Gladys the tea lady stole your sourcecode?

Comment

Hmmmm.... i was considering taking my source code with me from my current client when i leave.

Not because it has any worth, but because they are that incompetent they would probably lose it and want me to re-do it at some point in the future.
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

He was probably using it as either a learning tool or as a reminder of the work that he actually worked on. If he tried to use that code and sell it to some third party fair enough ... but 8 YEARS in a Federal prison for nicking code from an investment bank ??!??!??!??? The code I've seen in investment banks is mostly totally useless outside of that particular bank and in many cases so poorly written its as the poster above clearly states .. source material for 'how NOT to code' / 'engineer systems'.

Hmmmmmmm

Comment

Ah, thought it was about this chap at first. He faces 70 years jail

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Oi aTw, what would you do if Gladys the tea lady stole your sourcecode?
              Not very many people can understand assembly language this days

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                8 YEARS in a Federal prison for nicking code from an investment bank ??!??!??!???
                Well, if that code makes 1 bln a year to that bank and if that can be lost due to other party knowing exactly what they are doing then damage from such alleged theft will be huge and 8 years seem small change.

Comment

Working...
                X