• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google admits tracking Safari users

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google admits tracking Safari users

Swines.

Default search engine now yahoo. Still looks like I remember in 1995.

Internet giant says it circumvented security settings in browser to track users on desktops and iPhones

Google has come under attack for violating users' privacy and ignoring their wishes after admitting that it intentionally circumvented security settings in Apple's Safari browser to track users on both desktop computers and iPhones.

A number of other advertisers exploited the loophole it had created to track those users too.

"Our data suggests that millions of users may have been affected," Jonathan Mayer, the independent researcher at Stanford University who discovered the workaround by the search giant, told the Guardian.

An Apple spokesman said: "We are aware that some third parties are circumventing Safari's privacy features and we are working to put a stop to it."
    Google admits tracking Safari users | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

****!

They tailed you right to this place!!!!

Sergey might call me any minute now!

Comment

Faircroft warned me about you...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

They have been doing this for a long time ...... It isnt just google either .....

I find it amusing you are worried about targeted ads? Instead I would be a lot more worried about what google does with data from every search ever done. All of that data is stored.

In short, given the inclination, they have every search profiling you as an individual over the years, stored away. That information can be used to characterise and defame you to such an extent, a database know you better than you know yourself.

Comment

Why is it always the default position of the users that the Google would be benign with this information?

Great sadness is what I think if someone somewhere should believe they can define my life with a collection of search terms.

Comment

I don't care if Google do any of this tulip, we get to search most of the web for free. from a clean ad free home page, its always up and always fast. Why are all the non contributing idiots always the first to complain. Giving up a little privacy is well worth it, unless you have something to hide.
            Last edited by russell; 17 February 2012, 23:18.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
              I don't care if Google do any of this tulip, we get to search most of the web for free. from a clean ad free home page, its always up and always fast. Why are all the non contributing idiots always the first to complain. Giving up a little privacy is well worth it, unless you have something to hide.
              Oh no. It's the "unless you have something to hide" brigade.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Oh no. It's the "unless you have something to hide" brigade.
                WHS +1

Comment

Why is it always the default position of the users that the Google would be benign with this information?

Great sadness is what I think if someone somewhere should believe they can define my life with a collection of search terms.
                  What? Like loser?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Swines.

Default search engine now yahoo. Still looks like I remember in 1995.

Google admits tracking Safari users | Technology | guardian.co.uk
                    KUATB!
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X