• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apprentice winner Stella English to sue Lord Sugar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apprentice winner Stella English to sue Lord Sugar

Stella English, who won the BBC One hit show in 2010, has lodged papers with an employment tribunal after complaining that she had been forced out of her job at Lord Sugar's business empire.

The 32-year-old mother of two, who grew up on a south London estate, was nicknamed The Ice Maiden on the programme because of her ruthlessness.

The relationship between Miss English and Lord Sugar soured when he failed to renew her £100,000 contract – her prize for winning the Apprentice – last October.

She told a newspaper at the time: "Lord Sugar has forgotten one of the first rules of business – never underestimate someone who's got nothing to lose."

But a source told the Daily Mail that Lord Sugar had tried to help Miss English by moving her to a new job when she was unhappy and that she had walked out two months before the contract ended.

After being told "You're hired", Miss English was given a job with Lord Sugar's Viglen division, which supplies IT to schools, universities and hospitals.

She was made a project manager but claimed she had to report to a manager far more junior than her. When she asked for feedback from Lord Sugar, she claimed he told her: "I'll tell you the feedback, shall I? Yeah, nice girl, don't do a lot."

She was then given a new job at another of Lord Sugar's companies YouView. When she then complained about that role, claiming it did not require too much work, Lord Sugar "went off the radar" and she did not speak to him for months.

During an interview with the Mail on Sunday last October, Miss English said Lord Sugar called her to a meeting in September where he pointed out to her that her contract would be up in December.

She said he told her: "I dunno what to do with you after that. Maybe you should think about what you want to do. I've met my obligations to you as far as I'm concerned."

In the October interview she said her time working for Lord Sugar had been "an appalling experience".

"I've wasted two years of my life when I could have been doing something better," she said.

A spokesman for Lord Sugar declined to comment, according to the Daily Mail. Miss English said she was unable to comment as she was visiting a sick relative abroad.

With a few months experience as a project manager for Viglen perhaps she should consider contracting?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      With a few months experience as a project manager for Viglen perhaps she should consider contracting?
      "I've wasted two years of my life when I could have been doing something better," she said.
      Not on 100K a year though, I'll bet.

When she then complained about that role, claiming it did not require too much work, Lord Sugar "went off the radar" and she did not speak to him for months.
      She won't make the grade as a contractor until she learns to keep a low profile while good dosh is coming in. And perhaps gets a thicker skin.
      Last edited by Sysman; 18 February 2012, 15:40.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

She won't make the grade as a contractor until she learns to keep a low profile while good dosh is coming in. And perhaps gets a thicker skin.
          WHS

She is either really thick or her PR person needs the sack.

Loads of the other contestants, including those who didn't win, have managed to make money out of being on The Apprentice.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Loads of the other contestants, including those who didn't win, have managed to make money out of being on The Apprentice.
            Very few made money in business. They all seem to have media careers. Just what this country needs.

Made Lord Sugar could select one of those engineers he seems to despise?

Comment

More importantly - if she was on a fixed period contract then how can she expect to get employment tribunal?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Made Lord Sugar could select one of those engineers he seems to despise?
                There are none left in this country ever since scooterscot left for München.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  It's Sid James innit?

Comment

I wouldn't want to work for that tat salesman on principle. I certainly wouldn't take a pay cut to do it. Who are these muppets?
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X