• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guardiola to Replace Wenger

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guardiola to Replace Wenger

Don't think so somehow.

Link

I think he should go though as he's in danger of having all his achievements overshadowed by this dismal spell. Just like Brian Clough. Not sure that having him upstairs won't render any replacement manager a yes man.

Biggest problem is that Arsenal have too many dross players on huge wages that nobody is going to buy & they are quite happy to sit out their contracts.

Djouro, Squillaci, Arshavin and,I hate to say it, poor old Theo Walcott. They should all be heading for the exit. Unfortunately, they'll probably all stay & RVP will be the only one to leave come the summer.

Maybe "Pep" can sign Cesc Fabregas back?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Wenger has brought on some very good passing footballers.

But not one good hard defensive player, or player with captaincy material.

Therein lies his problem.

Comment

Abramovich will pay more money to get Guardiola.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          .... or player with captaincy material.
          Viera? Captain for the 2003 - 2004 Invincibles season.

Petit was a good strong midfield player too but didn't stick around long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
            Viera? Captain for the 2003 - 2004 Invincibles season.

Petit was a good strong midfield player too but didn't stick around long enough.
            Wenger bought Vierra, he didn't bring him on.

When Wenger arrived at Arsenal, they were steeped in Graham's winning mentality, especially Adams, Bould/Keown, Dixon, Winterburn. He remarked on it himself as a surprise to him, that spirit and hard defence.

He signed Vierra and Petit, but it took an emergency team meeting called by Adams and the rest of the back four to get them doing their defensive jobs properly and show authority in the middle of the park.

Since the last of that Graham generation left, Arsenal have had no-one to influence the next generation on the pitch and we have seen the results.

Comment

Problem is Wenger has never really been a big spender in my eyes compared to other clubs and has now been left behind in their wake
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Wenger bought Vierra, he didn't bring him on.

Fair point.

I suppose when you dominate possession and play the passing game like Arsenal did a few years back there is less emphasis on defence.

Arsenal's defence has been woeful for some time now but the departure of Fabregas in midfield has really exposed how bad it is.

Comment

I'm not an Arsenal fan, but given their lack of any full backs this season, you have to wonder why he didn't just sign some temporary cover in the recent transfer window. Using central defenders as full backs is not good as a full back is expected to cover a lot more ground than the 2 central defenders. When United played them recently, the guy they had as a full back, facing up to Evra and Nani (I think) was hopeless. But when they put a youngster on in the second half, who was actually a full back, things became much tighter. A case of a round peg fitting into a round hole.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                    Problem is Wenger has never really been a big spender in my eyes compared to other clubs and has now been left behind in their wake
                    True. He was fine until Abramovich bought Chelsea and upped player prices and wages, after that only Man Utd could compete. Then along came Mansoor at Man City, now presumably that billionaire at Spurs...

And he has the added millstone of paying for the new ground.

He doesn't seem able to sign the top workmanlike players. He missed out on a few in the summer. Maybe his puritanical streak prevents him. Scott Parker for example. Even Owen Hargreaves.

Comment

Working...
                    X