• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tesco job advert protest closes store in Westminster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesco job advert protest closes store in Westminster

Tesco was seeking to replace full-time workers with unpaid jobseekers:

BBC News - Tesco job advert protest closes store in Westminster
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    Tesco was seeking to replace full-time workers with unpaid jobseekers:

BBC News - Tesco job advert protest closes store in Westminster
    Tesco said the advert was a mistake due to an IT error and had been amended.
    Did you work on Tesco's job website?
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      Did you work on Tesco's job website?
      You mean did he work on the Job Centre Plus part of the directgov website where the adverts were placed?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Tesco is taking the piss IMHO:

"A spokesman for Tesco said: "No-one is under any obligation to take part in the scheme, and Jobcentre Plus has assured us that all of those who have come to Tesco have done so as volunteers.""

They can also try offering half minimum wage jobs and claim nobody is forced to take them.

It's crazy that in this country many interns do their job for free.

Comment

What does a 'guaranteed job interview' mean? An interview for a job, or just an interview?

Surely if there was 'a job', they would just advertise it in the usual way?

The Spar near us got 350 applications for two half-time jobs, so it's not as though they would have to scratch around.

Comment

It sounds lke a scam to

a) provide our big businesses free labour (and subsequently large donations to the ruling party)
            b) knock down the unemployment figures for a few weeks

I can see a case for folks doing it for free for a day or two while they receive 'training' on how to stack shelves, but after that they should get the minimum wage.

IT error - my arse.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
              What does a 'guaranteed job interview' mean? An interview for a job, or just an interview?
              People on the scheme think it's an interview for a job.

However Tesco and Poundland have been found not to even interview people for a job or otherwise who complete the "voluntary work experience" even if they have worked in shops before.

Sainsburys and Homebase had a better rate of interviewing and taking on people from that scheme when they were in it.

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
              Surely if there was 'a job', they would just advertise it in the usual way?

The Spar near us got 350 applications for two half-time jobs, so it's not as though they would have to scratch around.
              Which is the point of a lot of people.

There is no shortage of potential applicants for retail jobs particularly part-time ones from women with children to students. The only time I see adverts up for jobs in shops is in late-August/early September when the students are moving on.

Comment

I dont see the issue? Make lazy benefit scroungers work for their handouts.

However, I do think tesco should be making a minimal payment to the government, perhaps in form of extra tax to supplement the welfare.

Also let us remember, it is excellent for the jobseeker as well if they are genuine. It helps keep them in work and pad out their cv a bit. Looks far better to a future employer ....

Win, win, win if this is done correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post

IT error - my arse.
                  The power of social media.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
                    I dont see the issue? Make lazy benefit scroungers work for their handouts.
                    For each job Tesco fills with much lower cost "lazy benefit scroungers" they will cut real job on already minimum wage salary and that person would sign on benefits.

Basically the whole objective of this scam (and I can't call it anything else) is to provide cheaper labour that does not even get paid minimum wage to big companies like Tesco.

Comment

Working...
                    X