• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how to save the UK economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to save the UK economy

US proves that the brutality of hire and fire really does work - Telegraph

"It is a simple fact of life that business is more prone to hire if it is allowed to fire. The major risk to business investment, which is that of an ongoing workforce liability, is thereby removed."

Or better still why not try to get more in the UK to be contractors instead of attacking them?

Sounds good on the surface, but presumably a lot of people over the age of 40 would end up getting fired, especially labourers or anyone more expensive than the cheapest immigrant.

Comment

I don't get this - you can fire people here if you have no work for them - it's called making them redundant (or you can just use contractors). Why do the limp-minded think that being able to fire people because you don't like them any more or you have fallen out with them because they realised you are an ego maniac half wit will turn us into an economic powerhouse?

That thing about fire at will in the US is, like most things to do with the US, largely illusory.

Comment

Hire and fire isn't main UK problem, well maybe in public sector.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Hire and fire isn't main UK problem, well maybe in public sector.
          So what do you think the problem is (as I would agree firing is not a big issue in the uk).
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            So what do you think the problem is (as I would agree firing is not a big issue in the uk).
            People in the driving seat (the Govt and politicians in general) prefer to go with the flow even if it leads them to collapse rather than take measured risks and win despite bad odds.

So far in my economic assessment coalition Govt did exactly fook all since they took power - their main policies are the same, business taxes gone up (unless you are big business in which case they'd use "tax planning" anyway), talk of cuts is just that - talk. Essentially the only person who is actually doing something is Sir Merv - printing money.

Case in point - Osborne announces National Insurance holiday in depressed regions like Birmingham, good idea but as soon as they launch it they limited it to new companies only created after announcement. As if it's the new companies that would have scale to create new jobs - so almost nobody used that scheme (somebody in Treasury got bonus no doubt for saving taxpayer money). Then year later Osborne announced Enterprise Zones, ok - a year later still nothing decided on when exactly benefits kick in (no business rates for a few years). Those jokers can't even fooking get simple stuff like that working quickly, why would anybody expect them to deal with more serious problems like NHS?

If we had NIC holiday we'd probably hire another full time employee.
            Last edited by AtW; 20 February 2012, 21:11.

Comment

So far in my economic assessment ....
              I stopped reading at this point - it's like a gold-plated guarantee of unadulterated garbage to follow.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Sounds good on the surface, but presumably a lot of people over the age of 40 would end up getting fired, especially labourers or anyone more expensive than the cheapest immigrant.
                And that would be different from the rise of Bobco and the permanent round of redundancies in every clientco how? It's like the government telling us to use our cars at off peak times - we already are, if we can.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  I stopped reading at this point - it's like a gold-plated guarantee of unadulterated garbage to follow.
                  Hope I did not disappoint you.

Comment

People in the driving seat (the Govt and politicians in general) prefer to go with the flow even if it leads them to collapse rather than take measured risks and win despite bad odds.

So far in my economic assessment coalition Govt did exactly fook all since they took power - their main policies are the same, business taxes gone up (unless you are big business in which case they'd use "tax planning" anyway), talk of cuts is just that - talk. Essentially the only person who is actually doing something is Sir Merv - printing money.

Case in point - Osborne announces National Insurance holiday in depressed regions like Birmingham, good idea but as soon as they launch it they limited it to new companies only created after announcement. As if it's the new companies that would have scale to create new jobs - so almost nobody used that scheme (somebody in Treasury got bonus no doubt for saving taxpayer money). Then year later Osborne announced Enterprise Zones, ok - a year later still nothing decided on when exactly benefits kick in (no business rates for a few years). Those jokers can't even fooking get simple stuff like that working quickly, why would anybody expect them to deal with more serious problems like NHS?

If we had NIC holiday we'd probably hire another full time employee.
                    Correct - all this tulip about hire and fire is dogma. The rules about how long you have to be a permie before you can claim unfair dismissal change every time there's a change of governing party. It doesn't actually do anything, but it appeals to small-minded one-party fanboys.

Comment

Working...
                    X