• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to deal with the UK's drought

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to deal with the UK's drought

Should the rich north sell England water? I hear they pay £1.50 a bottle...

BBC News - Q&A: How to deal with the UK's drought

Consumers have been warned to start taking action to preserve water so that the UK can deal with the current drought.

On Monday, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs revealed that much of southern and eastern England was officially in a state of drought.

Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman has said everyone must find a way to save water, but how urgent a need is this?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Heard some expert on the BBC news saying that piping water from Scotland to southern England is feasible. Would probably cost a lot but jobs created and a problem solved must make it attractive.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

How about some more reservoirs? We could build a large one in Wandsworth - no-one would miss the inhabitants.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        How about some more reservoirs? We could build a large one in Wandsworth - no-one would miss the inhabitants.
        You need something to fill the reservoirs with. CUK could provide all the pish needed if that was viable.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Drought? Load of scaremongering old bollox, I've never seen a dry tap in my 40 years.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

If it was wet down South and dry up North, would you be rushing to lay pipes to transfer it up to us here for free?

Thought so......

We have too much of the stuff in Cumbria, we will happily sell you all you need :-)

Why not lay a great big pipe underneath the new railway line? You're going to have to dig foundations for it anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
              If it was wet down South and dry up North, would you be rushing to lay pipes to transfer it up to us here for free?

Thought so......

We have too much of the stuff in Cumbria, we will happily sell you all you need :-)

Why not lay a great big pipe underneath the new railway line? You're going to have to dig foundations for it anyway...
              One pipe can transfer both ways.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                One pipe can transfer both ways.
                Nah. It's all down hill.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It's got fook all to do with the lack of rain in the south, but the population of the south of England has doubled under New Labour due to immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
                    would you be rushing to lay pipes to transfer it up to us here for free?
                    Oddly enough, I was in a rush to lay a bit of pipe round the back of Podimore Services earlier

Comment

Working...
                    X