• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British Values

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Values

"Lessons in British values considered Monday May 15, 08:51 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain is considering introducing compulsory lessons on "core British values" for children in response to last July's suicide bomb attacks on London, the government said on Monday.

Education minister Bill Rammell said a six-month review would examine whether all 11 to 16-year-olds should be taught about issues such as freedom of speech, civic responsibility, and democracy and how historically they developed in Britain.

"If we are to get a proper modern sense of British identity, which I think is the best way to tackle extremism, then I think that's very important," Rammell told BBC radio.

"When we look at what happened with the bombings last July, when people were prepared to kill themselves in order to kill others, I think education can play a role in helping to get a better sense of what are the core values ... that cut across the cultures in Britain."

The proposal comes in response to the attacks on London on July 7 when four Britons blew up themselves and 52 commuters on the capital's transport system.

Last week the government produced a definitive narrative about the bombings but some critics said it failed to adequately address what had driven the men to carry out the attacks as they had shown little outward sign of militant behaviour.

Mohammad Sidique Khan, who was believed to be the group's leader, was a well-respected teacher who worked with children with special needs while another, Shehzad Tanweer, played cricket with friends the night before the bombings.

Rammell said he had met Muslim students and academics since the July attacks to listen to their views and grievances, and there was a consensus for a debate on the issue.

"What are those things that are essential to all cultures within British society?" he said.

"I think we need a better debate about that nationally and I do think we need to be discussing it through the curriculum with children."

The government has previously said understanding British customs and history was vital for immigrants who wanted to become British citizens.

Last October it brought in compulsory tests on British life which immigrants had to pass before they could apply to become British.

Meanwhile a further government review will also study the quality of teaching about Islam in universities to examine whether narrow, religiously orientated studies might fuel extremism, the BBC reported. "

Questions like this perhaps?

Q1 Do the British like people to get on the underground loaded with explosive ? (Answer Yes or No) (100 points for correct answer)

How about a brainwashing program wherby immigrants are constantly reminded that the average person that your likely to meet in Britian does not wish to kill other innocent people.

Why do we have to fudge the issue with religion , history and all the other b0lloks which just gives people intent on violent acts an excuse to not be part of civilised society.

programme
    you're
    Britain
    bollocks

Comment

Terrorism is a misdirected rutting instinct.. Solution is to castrate all young (under 50) men to pacify them. It works with animals after all. Don't worry about your wives/girlfriends, us mature sorts can help you out there leaving you to get on with your knitting.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        As I was about my evening constitutional a couple of days ago, I pondered on what it is about sticking a ring through a bull's nose that is so calming...

Anyone know?

Though with all the piercings about these days everyone should be very very calm indeed...

(Especially the ones with the Prince Albert...)
        I think it's when one tugs on the aforementioned ring that the bull becomes calm. Nothing like having a Daniella Westbrook nose job forced you on you without the fun of the coke high to calm you down.

Comment

Little blue envelope still blue

Looks like this thread needs some more marketing stratagy to boost numbers

HELLO BOYS

Comment

Working...
          X