PDA

View Full Version : Tablets to die out

doodab
22nd February 2012, 17:07
Why fanny about carrying a whypad when you can wear your angry birds delivery system?

Google to Sell Heads-Up Display Glasses by Year's End - NYTimes.com (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/21/google-to-sell-terminator-style-glasses-by-years-end/)

d000hg
22nd February 2012, 17:13
Won't you poke yourself in the eye using the touchscreen :eyes

Seriously though, who knows - maybe this will be a new revolution in using computing devices. Better than the stupid motion tracking fad which seems to be what 2012 is about.

SimonMac
22nd February 2012, 17:15
Why fanny about carrying a whypad when you can wear your angry birds delivery system?

Google to Sell Heads-Up Display Glasses by Year's End - NYTimes.com (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/21/google-to-sell-terminator-style-glasses-by-years-end/)

will include a small screen that will sit a few inches from someone’s eye

Your gonna look as much of a twunt as Bono does in his glasses

doodab
22nd February 2012, 17:15
I would hope it uses some sort of eye movement control like the old Canon EOS 3. Although I'm not sure how you would click, blinking would get confusing because of all the involuntary blinks you do. Some sort of tongue wiggle perhaps?

VectraMan
22nd February 2012, 17:23
I would hope it uses some sort of eye movement control like the old Canon EOS 3. Although I'm not sure how you would click, blinking would get confusing because of all the involuntary blinks you do. Some sort of tongue wiggle perhaps?

Point with your finger perhaps.

Anything short of full brain control seems like a half-arsed solution to me.

doodab
22nd February 2012, 17:25
Point with your finger perhaps.

Anything short of full brain control seems like a half-arsed solution to me.

That's it. Clicking could be controlled through a buttock clench. Or a button on the frames.

VectraMan
22nd February 2012, 17:34
That's it. Clicking could be controlled through a buttock clench. Or a button on the frames.

You'd either need to wear some kind of bottom sensor, or have a camera sticking out behind you watching your buttocks. I work with vision scientists, but I haven't heard anyone talk about button clench detection algorithms.

Pondlife
22nd February 2012, 17:36
You'd either need to wear some kind of bottom sensor, or have a camera sticking out behind you watching your buttocks. I work with vision scientists, but I haven't heard anyone talk about button clench detection algorithms.

If they've ever tried watching pron when their wife in in the house they'd soon develop one.

erm... I've said too much, haven't I.

scooterscot
22nd February 2012, 17:51
You know I knew 3D TV would fail and sure enough it's dying out the fad is over move on. Nobody is sitting in their homes with glasses.

Similarly nobody is wearing glasses all the time for connectivity to the internet.

doodab
22nd February 2012, 17:51
Similarly nobody is wearing glasses all the time for connectivity to the internet.

Except all the people who wear glasses so they can see.

scooterscot
22nd February 2012, 17:54
Except all the people who wear glasses so they can see.

Got to wonder why you'd wear glasses in the first place if you could not see.

d000hg
22nd February 2012, 18:43

Surely I don't have to tell you to read the article :tongue

They will also have a unique navigation system. “The navigation system currently used is a head tilting to scroll and click,” Mr. Weintraub wrote this month. “We are told it is very quick to learn and once the user is adept at navigation, it becomes second nature and almost indistinguishable to outside users.”Sounds fairly usable to me, if motions can be very small and it has good error detection - which is entirely plausible these days.

hyperD
22nd February 2012, 21:59

This'll be a brilliant device for Ed "Blinky" Balls. Can you imagine it?

Ed: "Right, got the window *blink* damn, it's closed, right get it up ag... *blink* *blink" feck it's gone again, damn, right, move it a little, ok it's up again.. *blink* *blink* *blink* ah feck, I've rebooted the fecking thing..."

BoredBloke
23rd February 2012, 09:06
Your gonna look as much of a twunt as Bono does in his glasses

That would be impossible because to look that much of a twunt you'd have to at least be Bono! The glasses only add to his twuntness!