• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beyond me.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beyond me.

Alas. I think the new project I am technical lead on may actually be beyond me.

Having been assigned to redo a project that cost a $1M over a year and failed to deliver, they've decided to have another go, this time with a $500k and 4 months.

Having gone through a session with the previous development team, deep diving into the differences between the requirements for each implementation and being forced to use a source system that is not allowed to be configured differently for clients(even though each clients requirements are quite unique(give or take some common bits) I think I may be forced to go back and say 'can't be done in the timescale, for the money and with the choice of system'

Bearing in mind they've spent $25m on this state of the art system, it looks like it just won't do the job.

I predict the bench may be looming...
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

PM Suity I'm sure he could help.

Sometimes however it makes more sense to give up early and run for the hills rather than stick through the impossible. Downside is the next contract will be further away from home.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Are you sure you are cut out for contracting
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Are you sure you are cut out for contracting

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SimonMac again.

Comment

Good Grief man!

Don't give up so easily.

Look at the requirements and shove them through a MoCoW assessment. What can be done in the given time period?

Tell them what they can have and then get on with it.

Tsk, do I have to tell you everything?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            How come I get neg repped for saying that and everyone else gets a clap and plus repped <sigh>

Having been assigned to redo a project that cost a $1M over a year and failed to deliver, they've decided to have another go, this time with a $500k and 4 months.
            Smells of client direction. Sounds like you are cut out to be a hidden permie!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Good Grief man!

Don't give up so easily.

Look at the requirements and shove them through a MoCoW assessment. What can be done in the given time period?

Tell them what they can have and then get on with it.

Tsk, do I have to tell you everything?
              I know how to suck an egg!

That's what I'm doing next. Nailing down the requirements and the in scope / out scope. Well review accordingly internally and then go back to the client. One thing they did was come to us with a 'representive' client and asked us to pitch for that and another ten. Turns out that client is only 20% of the complexity of the others & as i've gone through pre-analysis that complexity for developing a standard configurable engine is going exponential.

We will see if they will go with bitesize chunks.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Sounds like a good idea - half the money and 1/3 of the time is bound to require more creative solutions and even if it fails again it would be in a different way, not taking as long and certainly not as expensive.

You should stay and in 4 months propose to do it differently for $250k and in 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Oi, you haven't repped me in nearly two weeks, share the love you tight bastard
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Oi, you haven't repped me in nearly two weeks, share the love you tight bastard
                    I would if I could but I'm selective who I give it to.

Comment

Working...
                    X