• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harriet Harperson and Google

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harriet Harperson and Google

El Reg article

Labour has chastised the Conservatives for digital economy policies - and is targeting what may be the Conservatives' closeness to Google.

In addition to calling for more innovation from the entertainment industries, shadow culture secretary Harriet Harman called for greater corporate social responsibility from Google.

"If Google and the ad agencies drain the swamp of piracy by removing their financial incentive - online advertising - then we would have a fertile environment in which paid-for content could flourish," Harman said in a speech this week.

"No-one could imagine how we would survive without Google – most of us use it hundreds of times a day. But it is because they are so effective – and trusted – that Google and other search engines should use their creative energy to help the music industry fight piracy."
    She's 'avin' a larf isn't she?

If you read the technical IT press, Google are fast losing both their effectiveness as a useful search engine and trust.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Google have virtual search monopoly in the UK with I believe ~95% searches going through them.

UK's copyright laws are totally not suited for what is already generally deemed acceptable. I have vested interest in this so I will refraid from further comments.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Google have virtual search monopoly in the UK with I believe ~95% searches going through them.

UK's copyright laws are totally not suited for what is already generally deemed acceptable. I have vested interest in this so I will refraid from further comments.
      Would the fair use law from the usa give you what you want?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Well stop posting tulipe on CUK and DEVELOP A SEARCH ENGINE FFS. You started this in 2005 and the World is still waiting....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Would the fair use law from the usa give you what you want?
          It would be a big step forward for sure - thing with Google is that they are so big and can afford long drawn legal battle with anybody, so they are ok and cynically speaking it gives them the edge over others.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Well stop posting tulipe on CUK and DEVELOP A SEARCH ENGINE FFS. You started this in 2005 and the World is still waiting....
            Good things come to those who can wait...

This time next year I might be drinking champagne in my mansion in Wandsworth

Comment

This time next year I might be drinking champagne in my mansion in Wandsworth
              Check out the neighbours before you move there.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

This time next year I might be wanking in my shed in Wandsworth
                FTFY
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                X