• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

50p tax rate 'failing to boost revenues’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50p tax rate 'failing to boost revenues’

The Treasury received £10.35 billion in income tax payments from those paying by self-assessment last month, a drop of £509 million compared with January 2011. Most other taxes produced higher revenues over the same period.

Senior sources said that the first official figures indicated that there had been “manoeuvring” by well-off Britons to avoid the new higher rate. The figures will add to pressure on the Coalition to drop the levy amid fears it is forcing entrepreneurs to relocate abroad.

The self-assessment returns from January, when most income tax is paid by the better-off, have been eagerly awaited by the Treasury and government ministers as they provide the first evidence of the success, or failure, of the 50p rate. It is the first year following the introduction of the 50p rate which had been expected to boost tax revenues from self-assessment by more than £1billion.

Should the 50p tax rate be scrapped?

Although the official statistics do not disclose how much money was paid at the 50p rate of tax, the figures indicate that it is falling short of the money the levy was expected to raise.

A Treasury source said the relatively poor revenues from self-assessment returns was partly down to highly-paid individuals arranging their affairs to avoid paying the 50p rate.

“It’s true that SA revenues are a bit disappointing — it’s still early, but it looks like there’s been quite a lot of forestalling and other manoeuvring to avoid the top rate,” said the source.

However, another Treasury source added that the tax deadline had been extended by two days because of industrial action at HM Revenue and Customs. Therefore, it was too early to begin assessing the revenues raised from the 50p rate of tax because about 20 per cent of self-assessment tax is paid in the hours before the deadline.

Francesca Lagerberg, head of tax at Grant Thornton, an accountancy firm, said: “My guess is that because the 50 per cent rate was flagged up in advance many taxpayers, particularly those with their own businesses, decided to extract dividends ahead of the change. It highlights the fact that high tax rates don’t always deliver high tax revenues.”

George Osborne, the Chancellor, is expected to receive a definitive analysis from the revenue on the 50p rate before next month’s Budget. The Liberal Democrats have insisted that it must stay because it is important to demonstrate that the rich are paying their fair share.

David Laws, a Lib Dem MP, has also suggested reducing tax relief on pensions for top earners.

The prospect of higher taxation on pensions comes as savers complain that low interest rates and quantitative easing have pushed down returns on savings and pensions.

Charlie Bean, the deputy governor of the Bank of England, last night insisted that those people should accept the pain as the price of restoring the wider economy to health.

The Confederation of British Industry, in its Budget submission today, urges ministers not introduce new levies on the rich, warning that the UK “will become a less attractive location for entrepreneurs and key employees”.

Source: 50p tax rate 'failing to boost revenues’ - Telegraph

Nevermind 50% tax - get rid of ****ing "payment on account" for the tax year that isn't even over FFS!

Laffer strikes again.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I remember in mid eighties a Labour MP asked how much tax was being lost due to upper rate going from 60% to 40%. The answer was that tax take had gone up - in real and percentage terms.

The problem is the Cameron is a twunt - just less of a twunt than the one eyed twunt. We need another woman prime minister!

Comment

It will go eventually, but it won't be a popular change because most people and media outlets will only see it as tax cuts for the rich, rather than a move to increase revenues.

I would much rather see a reduction in the 40% rate, or an increase in the threshold at which you pay it. In the next budget, the threshold is going to go down!!
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

It's the basic rate threshold and VAT that makes the difference to the most people. By "most" people, I mean the people earning "normal" salaries.

If you raise the basic rate threshold, most of the extra money will be spent, i.e. go back into the economy which has to be a good thing.

50% tax is too high but if you put it back to 40% the extra 10% will not necessarily be "spent", certainly not in the same way. With the 50% tax it's the disincentives to invest and grow here that is the issue.

I'm in favour of lower tax generally and the low paid paying no tax at all. For other reasons as well as the ones above - you have to make it worth people's while to work.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Labour and much of the media are too concerned with the % tax rate - the real concern should be the cash the tax rates collects for the funding of public services.

If a 50% rate collects an extra £10 billion but at 40% the extra collection would be £15 billion, the decision should be obvious.

I believe that taking 52% of someones income is totally unreasonable, I think most high earners accepted that 40% was ok, what the government should be concentrating on is tackling the abuses, such as stamp duty avoidance on £million pound houses, hiding income and assets overseas, being able to operate a business in the UK whilst living in Monaco, Jersey etc.

I also think it would be reasonable to add new bands to the council tax to gather more income from expensive houses, this would catch the £million pound homes owned by people who pay no income tax in the UK.
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
              Labour and much of the media are too concerned with the % tax rate - the real concern should be the cash the tax rates collects for the funding of public services.

If a 50% rate collects an extra £10 billion but at 40% the extra collection would be £15 billion, the decision should be obvious.

I believe that taking 52% of someones income is totally unreasonable, I think most high earners accepted that 40% was ok, what the government should be concentrating on is tackling the abuses, such as stamp duty avoidance on £million pound houses, hiding income and assets overseas, being able to operate a business in the UK whilst living in Monaco, Jersey etc.

I also think it would be reasonable to add new bands to the council tax to gather more income from expensive houses, this would catch the £million pound homes owned by people who pay no income tax in the UK.
              You have seen it all from the left. Their whole mentality is negative. Firstly there is no way that anyone earning large amounts of money will allow themselves to be taxed at higher ates. They will simply either stop paying themselves salaries and/or reward themselves in other ways or move out.
              The left are only interested in making the rich poorer and therefore being seen to be virtuous. In actual fact they are envy driven losers who do not have the talent to get rich. Only today do we read in the Times that David Milliband is receiving £20k per day (more than you lot put together ) for extra work.

It would be fine if these people used the receipts of taxation to help the poorer members of society but they dont. They use tax to curry favour for their own personal popularity. The world is full of these people who are entrenched within institutions such as the EU (which is why they are desperate to save the Euro), the labour party, the liberal party and the Public Sector.

The great thing about the recession is that these people are being exposed as parasites that the rest of us can no longer afford to indulge.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Indeed. It's not about raising money; it's about doing what's seen to be "fair". What would be best for tax revenues and reducing costs is to forget about the difficult cases; that is the top 5%, and the bottom 5%, and focus on the 90% in the middle. Unfortunately that's where most the votes come from, so that's never going to happen.

Once again the real problem is democracy.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It would seem one is suggesting the floccinaucinihilipilification of the 50p tax rate introduction. Well who'd have thought.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 7 June 2022, 18:49.

Comment

Working...
                    X