• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long can you milk VB6/ASP/SQL for....?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can you milk VB6/ASP/SQL for....?

Keep meaning to pursue my numerous .NET projects (that's the future after all - M. Benes).

Trouble is, I keep getting VB6 contracts offered, and a bird in the hand etc.

So, how long before we're on .NET 3000 and I'm an unemployable wretch living in a shop doorway (smelling like Xoggoth)?

According to MS, Visual Basic 6.0 will no longer be supported starting March 2008.

So there will be no service packs, security/hot fixes beyond that point, or any plan to ensure old VB6 apps run okay on future Windows platforms.

Therefore, you've probably got another 3 or 4 years before the market for those skills is truly gone.

Enough time to learn .NET I would think, but I'd start now with VS.NET 2005 and if you have any C/C++/Java experience try and move to C# rather than VB.NET, as it is a more marketable skills.

Comment

Does that include VB that's in Office too? I haven't yet looked at the new flavours of Office coming out so I'm well aware that this is probably a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
        Does that include VB that's in Office too? I haven't yet looked at the new flavours of Office coming out so I'm well aware that this is probably a very stupid question.

Are you blond?

Comment

VB6 on a CV today just looks crap imo. It shows that you haven't kept up with things and are years behind everyone else.

When you have learnt .NET skills, you will have limited experience and a cv full of VB6. Why don't you look at migrating some of your VB6 projects to .NET - sell it to the client and learn off the back of it....

Comment

I feel sorry for the guys using C# 2.0 when I'm using C# 4.0 already.

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
              Are you blond?
              Nope, brunette.

Comment

Ironically the last two jobs I've worked on have been advertised as C# but I end up with some ASP/VB6/COM nightmare to test my patience for the first month...

It's out there and still being used but don't count on it for much longer.
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Linq

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  I feel sorry for the guys using C# 2.0 when I'm using C# 4.0 already.
                  Have you managed to screw up your tiers yet and merge dlinq quries into your ui and bo's))

The future's messy, the future is linq
                  whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
                    VBA isn't changing with Office 2007 - it's still the same old tulipe.
                    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                    X