• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC now accept 'smartphones' qualify as 'mobile phones'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC now accept 'smartphones' qualify as 'mobile phones'

HMRC have now accepted that a smart phone can receive the tax treatment of a mobile phone.

So basically provided that your company provides you with just one phone, that the contract is in the company name and that the monthly payments are made from the company bank account, then HMRC will accept this with no extra tax liability on either the employer or the employee.

HM Revenue & Customs: Revenue & Customs Brief 02/12

Excellent. What about the purchase cost of the phone?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

That iss fine, as with a normal mobile phone this costs would be allowable provided the conditions I described are met.

Alan

Comment

Very nice. Thanks for keeping us informed.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
          HMRC have now accepted that a smart phone can receive the tax treatment of a mobile phone.

So basically provided that your company provides you with just one phone, that the contract is in the company name and that the monthly payments are made from the company bank account, then HMRC will accept this with no extra tax liability on either the employer or the employee.

HM Revenue & Customs: Revenue & Customs Brief 02/12
          Is it Ok if my friend has been expensing his iPhone for the past 4 years anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Is it Ok if my friend has been expensing his iPhone for the past 4 years anyway?
            Basically, yes!

Comment

What would the view be if I buy a SIM free device through the company, but not claim for line rental/calls as my device is mainly used for personal calls.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                What would the view be if I buy a SIM free device through the company, but not claim for line rental/calls as my device is mainly used for personal calls.
                The word 'mainly' makes a big difference. I got mauled in a thread not so long ago where the OP admitted 80% of use would be personal. I suggest he shouldn't claim it but the consenus seemed to be that if he used it at all for business it was open season to be paid for by the company. Still not in my comfort zone personally but other OP's seemed to think it was ok.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  The word 'mainly' makes a big difference. I got mauled in a thread not so long ago where the OP admitted 80% of use would be personal. I suggest he shouldn't claim it but the consenus seemed to be that if he used it at all for business it was open season to be paid for by the company. Still not in my comfort zone personally but other OP's seemed to think it was ok.
                  WHS.

Plus... You're either in (whether legit or not) or you're out. Don't do a halfway house 'phone is company's but contract is personal'
                  It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I don't want them to pay for line rental, I am happy to take the personal hit on that, just thinking about the up front cost of the handset, I guess I could be a cheap PAYG SIM card and stick £10 on it every 6 months which the company will pay for, but stick my personal SIM card in the phone.
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X