• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP: Peak Oil - we won't be running out any time soon

The Register

After all the stuff I ploughed through between 5 and 10 years ago on the subject, I can't be arsed this time around.

Can someone do a précis and tell us if it's more hot air, a load of cobblers or what?

Ta.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Holds water. More technology = more oil available from previously unreachable places, but price has to remain high to justify the investment
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

We had communism and then all the communist countries collapsed because it didn't work, so they shifted to environmentalism citing climate change and peak oil, and now this is collapsing because the sun's gone quiet and we've discovered "fracking".

I think they now have to find a new cause.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
        Holds water. More technology = more oil available from previously unreachable places, but price has to remain high to justify the investment
        Which is essentially what they call 'peak oil' Shirley? No-one said it would run out, it will just get more expensive.

Lets face it, oil won't be getting cheaper.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Which is essentially what they call 'peak oil' Shirley? No-one said it would run out, it will just get more expensive.
          I thought the 'peak' referred to the volume of production, not the price?

Agreed
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Peak Oil theory has been running for decades, but as others have mentioned, it's a little like the Moore's Law of Oil Exploration: technology improves and becomes more using this concentrated energy source becomes more efficient, and the price of crude as part of supply and demand, becomes a part of that equation.

And once again, for those that don't know about the industry, oil reserves are not large amounts of black stuff filled in a vast underground, hollow cavern, the crude stuff is saturated within the pores of rock and is subjected to pressure injection and stimulation to extract (so this eco-loonism media driven nonsense about fracking is so, well, completely fecking traditional fabricated scare bollox).

And as an aside, for those that are old enough, whenever we used to go to, say Hastings beach for instance, and our parents used to warn us not to step on the pebbles that had that sticky, black "oil" stuff on it, although that was crude, it had been "denatured".

If you stand at the pigging area of a refinery and smell the crude that is expelled during the process there are two surprising results that ensue:

1. It stinks of straight-run gasoline/(petrolish smell) - hence the aromatics contained within.

2. It's actually more brown than black.

3. Glue sniffers have no idea of their greatest high

Energy management is all about energy density. Once you understand that, everything else is simply unworkable.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

In short, it's wrong. As others have said, Peak Oil refers to the point where the rate of extraction (number of barrels you can suck out of the ground per day) peaks. This is guaranteed to happen one day, the only debate is whether it will happen soon. Oil will never "run out" - there will never be a day when we transition from having some oil left to having none left. Peak Oil means that the rate of oil extraction can no longer rise to meet increasing demand caused by growing economies. This basically means economic growth is no longer possible, therefore the current economic paradigm collapses, with consequences of varying levels of seriousness depending on who you believe.

The fact that the article on TheRegister refers to oil "running out" in the title basically means it isn't even worth reading.
              "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

so this eco-loonism media driven nonsense about fracking is so, well, completely fecking traditional fabricated scare bollox
                Quite. The magnitude of earthquakes from fracking is not perceptible, you will get more damage to your house from a passing lorry. Doesn't stop all the apocolyptic posters round here, they are planning to frack a few miles away.

PS I did a pigging simulation once.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 23 February 2012, 21:33.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Oil was $140 a barrel in 2007 and $35 a barrel in 2008.

Take away the spekulants and it's cheaper than tap water.

Comment

Take away the spekulants and it's cheaper than tap water
                    Take away all the f* tax on it and it would be even cheaper.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X