• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Female Infanticide

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Female Infanticide

Surprised we haven't covered the Telegraph's recent expose yet.

Link

This is scandalous.

Reading between the lines, because they don't explicitly say it, this seems to be a phenomenon that is more prevalent with certain ethnic groups.

Have to ask the question though, why is this more morally repugnant than the case of a woman who doesn't want the child just because, say, it's going to get in the way of her career?

One is legal and the other isn't. I can see a practical reason for the former being illegal as the male- female ratio in our population could become skewed, but the moral one?

For the record, I understand the case for legal abortion - to put an end to backstreet abortionists being the main one but I'm afraid it's an issue I really struggle with and certainly can't tow the pc line when discussing it.

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    This is scandalous.
    It was just a matter of time before we heard about this here.
    This problem has reached passed the tipping point into a crisis in 'certain areas' in 'certain countries', particularly among 'certain ethnic groups' due to "certain ethnic groups' " obsession with male children.

The governments there have banned sex determination but probably with limited success due to the likely prevalence of other unregulated/unscrupulous options.

The Hindu : News / National : Should ban on sex determination tests be relaxed?
    Last edited by yetanotherbob; 24 February 2012, 08:27.

Comment

And yet there is technology out there to be able to select the gender of your baby - PGD. This is common in the US but banned here, when it could in fact be used to reduce the number of gender related abortions taking place.

Of course there would have to be rules, such as you can't use PGD unless you already have one of the other sex. But at least it would give some comfort to parents seeking a mixed family and would reduce the number of unwanted abortions.

Comment

It's the Bobs 'innit?

Comment

Let's face it - the problem isn't parents wanting mixed families. Most parents who would like their third child to be a different gender to the other two aren't going to abort that child because it isn't.

It's parents wanting to ensure their child is male.

Ignoring the moral/legal issues of abortion vs selection, the issue here (and why it's a different issue to the mother choosing to abort a foetus because of lifestyle reasons) is the inherent belief in some cultures that a female child is less valuable than a male child.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
            This is scandalous.
            As nasty as this might sound. I beg to differ. Further more, I think that its a shame that we can't seed this thought in the minds of all the kid popping 3rd generation dole monkeys out there.

If we seriously cannot stop certain people popping more than 2 kids out because
            a) its cultural to have massive families
            b) they don't like condoms
            c) have nothing better to do, and it earns them more free money

Then the best we can hope for is that it becomes harder for them to find breeding partners, so that their populations regain some form of normal level.

Unless anyone fancies mass neutering???

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              As nasty as this might sound. I beg to differ.
              Differ with the opinion that it's scandalous to abort a foetus based on its sex?

The other issues you mentioned are all valid but different from the specific issue of 'female infanticide/abortion only due to the child's gender' .

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              It's the Bobs 'innit?
              And the Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                As nasty as this might sound. I beg to differ. Further more, I think that its a shame that we can't seed this thought in the minds of all the kid popping 3rd generation dole monkeys out there.

If we seriously cannot stop certain people popping more than 2 kids out because
                a) its cultural to have massive families
                b) they don't like condoms
                c) have nothing better to do, and it earns them more free money

Then the best we can hope for is that it becomes harder for them to find breeding partners, so that their populations regain some form of normal level.

Unless anyone fancies mass neutering???
                What, the Irish?

Comment

Sex-selective abortion is an inevitable consequence of easy access to abortion

Seems pretty obvious to me. How can it be outlawed, when all the woman has to do is lie about the reason? It's so obviously unstoppable and inevitable, that it's practically a non-story.

Society has to decide whether the negative impact of sex-selective abortion outweighs the positive impact of abortion on demand - for almost any other reason.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    What, the Irish?
                    That's racist! You should have said: non-protestant.
                    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
                    X