• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Places to eat drink near Greenwich area.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Places to eat drink near Greenwich area.

Anyone got suggestions of where to go for drinks and a nice meal that's not too far from Greenwich?

Cheers,

DP.

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Anyone got suggestions of where to go for drinks and a nice meal that's not too far from Greenwich?

Cheers,

DP.
    The Trafalgar pub is quite good, and overlooks the river.

Comment

Inside

I try not to venture sarf of the river too often, but not too long ago spent an enjoyable evening here:

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/3141.htm

just by the station.

Comment

Downtown Greenwich is fine.

Not too far away is downtown Blackheath, also OK.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

So...... did you get the raise / renewal?

Comment

Blackheath is a bit of a stroll though, probably about half an hour if you dont know the way there (actually, probably a lot longer than 30 minutes if you dont know your way there! ). Probably easier to jump on the DLR and go over to Canary Wharf and eat at Wagamama than to walk to Blackheath if you arent a local yocal!

Trafalgar is good, nice food at ok prices. Most of the pubs around Greenwich village are ok though.

The pie shop is cheap, around £1 a pie and there is a half decent fish and chip shop on the main street too. When I say half decent I really mean half decent. Unlike all the other fish and chip shops around this country their fish arent tastless and their chips soggy!

Mailman

Comment

I live in Lewisham - a stone's throw from Blackheath (well, from the posh end of Lewisham anyway).

It takes about 20 minutes to walk from Greenwich village to Blackheath village if you walk straight through Greenwich Park. Don't forget to pat the donkeys though on your way out as you head toward the heath and bring them a bag of apples, you skinflint and stoke the inside of their ears - they love that. In the summer a new arrival Didi-Donk is often seen on the grass behind with Mum - a wonderful sight. Nuts for the squirrels in GP are also sold nearby in Autumn. They will take them out of your hand.

If you want a smart eatery that does great Sunday lunches, then go to 'Inside' a pokey restaurant just into South Street's parade of shops as you head toward Lewisham. The quality far outstrips the cost (well it did last time I was there).

The Spreadeagle has a good reputation for good nosh, so I hear. Bit pricey though.

If you want great cream tea - then go to Frank's cafe on the High Street. Home made scones the size of boulders and tons of clotted cream and strawberry jam. It will set you back a fiver though, with a small pot of tea.

If you want supercheap nosh, then there is an open market at the weekends with loads of stalls that sell Thai, Indian, burgers, crepes and so on (near the open market stalls away from the central undercover one as you head toward South Street). The Thai green curry and sticky rice is fab and only costs about £3.50 a portion.

Last edited by Denny; 16 May 2006, 21:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                and there is a half decent fish and chip shop on the main street too. When I say half decent I really mean half decent. Unlike all the other fish and chip shops around this country their fish arent tastless and their chips soggy!

Mailman
                If you're referring to the one on the corner of the undercover market, I would avoid it. The food is dreadful.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

Cheers,

DP.
                  Quite a years ago I used to stay in digs in Greenwich and this pub was my local...

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...Arms/Greenwich

Never had food there, but the draught 'spitfire' was superb.

There used to be 2 noodle bars in Greenwich (both a short stroll from the train station) both served excellent food at cheapo prices.

my favourite (assuming its still there) was

Tai Won Mein Noodle House (noodle bar)
                  49 Greenwich Church Street, London , SE10
                  Tel:0208 858 1668

Comment

If you want anything other than jellied eels I'd get on a train and head North, get off anywhere about Nottingham and you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X