• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brrrm brrrm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brrrm brrrm

I have a gig that will require driving to on a regular basis. I don't currently have a car.

I need a reliable family sized saloon / estate that will give ~ 30mpg on the motorway. I will consider something other than a saloon / estate but I hate little cars, especially on the motorway, and I don't really want an SUV or minivan, and I would like something that will accommodate a snowboard and a child seat at the same time.

No Fords or Vauxhalls, and realistically nothing Italian or French either.

Budget is maximum £3k but ideally sub £1500, so cheap as chips really.

Current shortlist (all around 8-10 years old)

Old Audi Coupe (I always liked these)

Audi A4
    Saab 9-3
    Volvo V40 / V70 / C70
    VW Passat
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Can you be a bit more specific with what you want ?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Can you be a bit more specific with what you want ?
      Suggestions for options I may have missed.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Can I ask why you won't consider a Ford?

I had a 2.5 V6 and a long commute that just didn't work so I bought a 53 plate Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI 40k on clock for 3K. Does everything perfectly and hits the high 30's on my commute. Couldn't be happier with it really. Pretty boring car though and you wouldn't believe how many there are out there once you buy one but I didn't buy it for that. Parts cheap, tyres cheap. Perfect. Put another 25K on it so far and it needs some new pads and thats it.

When I get a gig closer to home I will think about getting something nicer but for a throwaway car its the dogs danglies.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

nothing Italian or French either

Get something German or Jap, you can't go wrong. You should get much more than 30 mpg on motorway driving these days.

Toyota Avensis?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Can I ask why you won't consider a Ford?
            I had one once before. I appreciate the Focus / Mondeo is a popular choice but I'm not keen on them.

Comment

You bothered if diesel or petrol?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You bothered if diesel or petrol?
                Preferably petrol.

Comment

Fook me I seem to have stumbled into a pikeys forum.
                  £3k for a decent car? You must be joking.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Seriously though: get a Mazda 6. Bomb proof reliability, looks ok, slightly different, good to drive

Here's some:

http://motoring.friday-ad.co.uk/uk/u...ZhtZ1z13o78Zg8
                    Last edited by sasguru; 24 February 2012, 14:22.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X