• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Return to Approved Schools?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return to Approved Schools?

Hopefully not but I don't like the tone of this

Some of these kids have had tough lives FFS. They need mentoring not humiliating.

I would hope so, consider being a teacher today, with the lack of support from both the authorities and parents, it must be awful trying to progress in your career in such an environment.

Some sort of 'approved' school or variant would be welcome in my view, it would act as a deterrent and take out the totally unruly pupils.

At the next level, I recall a tv programme Bad Lads Army, this is something that should be rolled out nationwide for the idle teenagers who roam our streets. It seemed to have a good record of turning youngsters around.

Bad Lads Army: Private Miller and Provost Sergeant Weston - YouTube
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
      I would hope so, consider being a teacher today, with the lack of support from both the authorities and parents, it must be awful trying to progress in your career in such an environment.

Some sort of 'approved' school or variant would be welcome in my view, it would act as a deterrent and take out the totally unruly pupils.

At the next level, I recall a tv programme Bad Lads Army, this is something that should be rolled out nationwide for the idle teenagers who roam our streets. It seemed to have a good record of turning youngsters around.

Bad Lads Army: Private Miller and Provost Sergeant Weston - YouTube
      What, precisely, would that sergeant do if a kid were to just laugh at him?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

Some of these kids have had tough lives FFS. They need mentoring not humiliating.
        birching

It's what made Britain great.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

I think it is a brilliant idea as long as they get top quality teaching, mentored, lots and lots of sport, music. OK the regime may need to be pretty tough, but as long as they are not ditched and ignored then I am all for it.

Likewise they should bring back workhouses for the poor and dysfunctional so that people become used to working for each other.

Having said that these institutions need to be run superbly and not turned into repositories into which people are simply dumped and forgotten.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 7 June 2022, 18:51.

Comment

Some of these kids have had tough lives FFS. They need mentoring not humiliating
              The link between upbringing and behaviour is irrefutable but if you are going to be guided by sympathy and a (usually) misguided idea that there is any remedy, then Rose West should be receiving counselling in a holiday camp.

Bring back corporal punishment in schools. I know it seems extreme by today's standards, but look where society has gone since it was banned
              Rather dubious that corporal punishment was much of a solution on its own, I know at my school the one who got the strap most was looked up to as cool, I was cool quite a lot. As part of a much stronger emphasis on discipline maybe. If I had to pick one thing over all others that has gone wrong I'd suggest technology. TV and computers in too many households are a substitute for interaction with family and the wider world.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 25 February 2012, 16:19.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                The link between upbringing and behaviour is irrefutable but if you are going to be guided by sympathy and a (usually) misguided idea that there is any remedy, then Rose West should be receiving counselling in a holiday camp.

Rather dubious that corporal punishment was much of a solution on its own, I know at my school the one who got the strap most was looked up to as cool, I was cool quite a lot. As part of a much stronger emphasis on discipline maybe. If I had to pick one thing over all others that has gone wrong I'd suggest technology. TV and computers in too many households are a substitute for interaction with family and the wider world.
                Strap? Where was that Scotland?

I was always afeared of the dap so I behaved myself.

Comment

Working...
                X