• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would the world be a better place if all jobs were contract jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would the world be a better place if all jobs were contract jobs?

Pros...

Harder for tulip or lazy employees to get into comfortable jobs where they are hard to get rid of
    More bargaining power for employees. No longer at the mercy of dreaded 6 month reviews
    Easier for people to decide their own work/life balance
    Companies can become more agile and potentially more productive
    People are responsible for their own pensions
    People are responsible for creating their own "redundancy" aka Warchest

Thoughts?

IMO it is a very good idea. Not sure how the government would respond though. They might scrap NI and raise income tax.

Comment

I read the other day they were looking to merge NI and Income Tax.

Makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
        I read the other day they were looking to merge NI and Income Tax.

Makes sense to me.
        Yes, but as normal it will probably be done in a kak-handed way.

What shoud happen is that NI should be scrapped - and just absorbed into income tax. The problem is that this will hit pensioners the hardest.

So in last year's budget, George Osbourne said that the merging of tax an Ni would only apply to employment (ie. PAYE) income - and not to other forms of income.

Which basically means no change at all - the calculation still has to be done differently for PAYE income - just the two figures are presented as one.

Comment

Working...
        X