• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anti-virus = Anti-multitasking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-virus = Anti-multitasking

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 7 June 2022, 18:47.

Get a Mac / iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
      Have we not progressed any further in the last 20 years?
      Yes. It's called a Mac.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

McAfree VirusScan now caches scan results. So its not scanning the same file it scanned yesterday and was clean, and the day before and so on.

Comment

I found Norton was rather a resource hog; but I've never had any trouble with Kaspersky
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
            Now I've got a process called: MsMpEng.exe (apparently part of the Microsoft free anti-virus software) churning away at my hard drive at seemingly random intervals, with the result that Windows ignores my mouse clicks so that the UI is virtually unusable for a couple of minutes until the hard drive has stopped churning away.
            I've never noticed the MS offering doing that whilst I'm working. I have seen it springing to life when the laptop is left alone for a few minutes though. My system monitor widgets all light up and then suddenly die down as soon as I touch the mouse.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Why is it that I get these security checks (adobe for instance) telling me I have a problem with the performance or security of my PC and therefore need to download and pay for their software?
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Why is it that I get these security checks (adobe for instance) telling me I have a problem with the performance or security of my PC and therefore need to download and pay for their software?
                Because you're thick?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  I've never noticed the MS offering doing that whilst I'm working. I have seen it springing to life when the laptop is left alone for a few minutes though. My system monitor widgets all light up and then suddenly die down as soon as I touch the mouse.
                  Same here more or less.

I'd had McAfee for a few years and it became a pain for that, I got rid and the relief was like having a good crap.

MS Auto-Update is also a nuisance. I always turn that off.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Because you're thick?
                    Should'nt you be out walking pushing the pram on a fine day like today?
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X