• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Water shortage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water shortage

Ok, mentioned it before... water shortage in the South East is down to a combination of the following:-

1. Increasing Leaks

2. Minimal investment in infrastructure to supply demand

3. Immigration

Right. It's pissing down here in the South East now. Looking at the forecast, it should be raining for the next 4 days or so. Looking at the aeronautical charts (being a private pilot and all that), it's gonna be pissing it down for the next few days.

I'll say this now. We'll get the announcements shortly about how dry things are, and then saying, it wasn't he right amount or type of rain and the drought ban will continue. Yet the rivers will be full and flowing.

You know the usual: oil, demand/supply. Gas: demand/supply. Electrickery: demand/supply. And water: demand/supply.

You heard it here first. Place your hedge bets now...

Wake up Neo...
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

All of them matey...

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Which pill should I take?

Acciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    Why not?

Comment

With bliar still around, I suggest the blue...
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Which pill should I take?
        Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
        Acciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
        Acid is not commonly in pill form ...... not that I know much about these things ..... hmmmm, perhaps I'd better shut up now ......

Comment

And...

Shortly after privatization the water companies were allowed to sell of reservoirs for housing development. The companies said they needed the sales so that they would have more money for investment. … Investments of directors pay no doubt.
          HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Yes, seven such reservoirs were sold off in the south-east for redevopment into housing estates for "key workers" as part of John Prescott's plans to concrete over the area. The current water shortfall in the area is the equivalent of, yes you guessed it, the sold off capacity.

Comment

I suppose it was always too naive to think that they would actually invest in their own infrastructure.

It really annoys me, being in the Southern Water 'total ban' area, that the local golf course can still spray vast amounts of water over their greens (most of which evaporates and so does not return to top up the ground water) yet I can't wash my car.

Comment

You can still buy Evian to wash your car with, like a proper contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  You can still buy Evian to wash your car with, like a proper contractor.
                  What? You don't employ someone to wash your vehicles?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                    What? You don't employ someone to wash your vehicles?
                    What? You bother to get your vehicle washed? I just send my man down to the showroom to pick up a clean one.

Comment

Working...
                    X