• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wilmslow-esque whinge: Friends who don't understand our ways of working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilmslow-esque whinge: Friends who don't understand our ways of working

I know this has been discussed here before but it's now really starting to bug my wife and I.

Now my best friends don't care what I earn; they are a mixture of high earning business people and lower earning permies...all non-IT. They know what my contracting turnover is and they know I have a decent enough house etc but it just isn't an issue. We have been friends since school and nothing will change that.

My other friends, who are generally good for a laugh and a few drinks, appear to have an issue with the income my company generates. I have made the mistake of discussing my rates in the past with them, though they've also told me salary details (like he's on > £110k permie IT job). They seem to think I have something like £10k a month to blow on whatever I choose.

They don't see that our rates are all-inclusive and we have no benefits to speak of. And that we pay several levels of taxation. Or that the bulk of income is stuck in the Ltd company and can't just be spent without tax implications.

They also don't understand that my role is very temporary because the tech I work in is finished, so I need to plan for some serious downtime (which I will try to avoid of course, but have to plan anyway).

Comments like "Oh that costs £600, it's just a day's pay for you" really p1ss me off. I actually feel sorry for them because their financial education must be very poor. Even on a salary of £110k (£5500/month after tax), they complain that they don't have money for holidays... and I know their mortgage and costs aren't that much!

Money really can mess up friendships. Ultimately, mea culpa: I just wish I'd never discussed these things with them

I regularly tell friends I earn £5000 a week, pay no tax ,blow the lot on hookers & drugs & life is cheap as you can have someone killed for a days money.

They tend not to mention anything at all.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      FTFY <ZG in grammar Nazi mode>
      No I think he had it right in the first place.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        No I think he had it right in the first place.
        No he didn't. ZG is correct

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I regularly tell friends I earn £5000 a week, pay no tax ,blow the lot on hookers & drugs & life is cheap as you can have someone killed for a days money.

They tend not to mention anything at all.
          Listen mate, we all know your rate is only £2000 a week, you've told us many times before

The rest is probably true though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
            Oh no he isn't!

Comment

So you and Zeity are saying

"My wife and me" is correct?

Comment

Also, FWIW, I agree with the OP that some of the little comments are annoying, usually from Permies rather than friends. I don't think any of my friends give a hoot what I earn, in the same way that I don't care what they earn.

My advice would be to replace the faulty friends (c:

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  So you and Zeity are saying

"My wife and me" is correct?

In this context, yes.

Doughnut

Comment

In this context, yes.

Doughnut
                    Back this up please.

Comment

Working...
                    X