• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The ripple of contractor cuts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ripple of contractor cuts

Last week I had some bod phone me up from the US Head Office trying to track down the director I report to. Could you help me, we're compiling a list of contractors, rates & companies she enthused. I've been told you're covering for X.

An explanation later(there's a corporate review of how much we spend on contractors going on) & then a grim realisation I was one of the names on her list, the conversation ended pretty damn fast.

Just off another call where the US contract PM I was working on asked me if I'd heard about 'the cuts'. He'd been in a presentation when right in the middle of it a sametime message popped up on one of the presenters screens with the words 'Oh FFS I've just been canned'. A quick hasty close window, followed by another 'I suppose I'll have to get another bloody contract now' before the lid went down. The US PM is now panicking. He's heard that all projects not yet funded(signed off) are being cancelled. The funding on mine has been delayed by two weeks.....

I love the smell of fear.

God I hope it gets canned.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Last week I had some bod phone me up from the US Head Office trying to track down the director I report to. Could you help me, we're compiling a list of contractors, rates & companies she enthused. I've been told you're covering for X.

An explanation later(there's a corporate review of how much we spend on contractors going on) & then a grim realisation I was one of the names on her list, the conversation ended pretty damn fast.

Just off another call where the US contract PM I was working on asked me if I'd heard about 'the cuts'. He'd been in a presentation when right in the middle of it a sametime message popped up on one of the presenters screens with the words 'Oh FFS I've just been canned'. A quick hasty close window, followed by another 'I suppose I'll have to get another bloody contract now' before the lid went down. The US PM is now panicking. He's heard that all projects not yet funded(signed off) are being cancelled. The funding on mine has been delayed by two weeks.....

I love the smell of fear.

God I hope it gets canned.
    So this is your tactic, feck the project up with your incompetence than hold on for grim life until you get tulipcanned?

Hat's off sir! At least you keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep invoicing.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      So this is your tactic, feck the project up with your incompetence than hold on for grim life until you get tulipcanned?

Hat's off sir! At least you keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep invoicing.
      Put it this way. I don't give a tulip whether this project works or fails, or whether the contract continues or ends.

Plenty more fish in the sea.

Comment

Put it this way. I don't give a tulip whether this project works or fails, or whether the contract continues or ends.
        You have very bad attitude...

Please don't punch me!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          You have very bad attitude...

Please don't punch me!
          He doesnt mean it. Most contractors do care
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Put it this way. I now hate everyone at this clientco and would deck them but my past form means its not a good idea.

However I'm stuck on a contract with a 1 way termination clause so can't escape unless they can me. Meanwhile its near home so everything else is a long commute and I can't be arsed to do that.

Plenty more fish in the sea.
            FTFY
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              FTFY
              Wow your sockie can read you like a book
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Almost like I wrote it myself.

Comment

I'm no sockie oh clueless wet one.

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Last week I had some bod phone me up from the US Head Office trying to track down the director I report to. Could you help me, we're compiling a list of contractors, rates & companies she enthused.
                    You obviously don't have Hays on the PSL. They would have been a lot more proactive with this request!
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X