• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many CUK users are still on IE6?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many CUK users are still on IE6?

After all the kerfuffle over the once-new vBulletin theme having such poor support for Internet Explorer 6, which was still in fairly wide use in corporate environments a couple of years ago, I was wondering what proportion of people were still stuck with it now. Poll to follow; your answer should reflect the lowest-level browser you use, but I'll make it multiple-choice anyway.

If admin wants to post figures from the server logs, we can work out how many people lie

Edit: I've assumed non-IE users use the latest version, as most browsers tend to either prompt one to install updates or update themselves by default. If you stick with an older version on purpose, feel free to explain why in the comments. Or, indeed, not to explain why. It's your computer, so you can do whatever you like. There's no reason why you should feel coerced into justifying your decisions. I was just interested, that's all. Jeez, I'm sorry I asked now. Calm down already. Lynx is fine, I use it myself when I'm pretending to be blind. Yes, it's a great way of testing accessibility. Just answer the question. OK, don't. Whatever.
    IE6
    7.84%
    IE7
    1.96%
    IE8
    11.76%
    IE9
    9.80%
    IE10
    3.92%
    Firefox
    25.49%
    Chrome
    25.49%
    Safari
    7.84%
    Opera
    1.96%
    Summat else
    3.92%
    Last edited by NickFitz; 28 February 2012, 01:18.

I use FF on linux and opera on win systems. However I still use IE6 for testing websites I edit/create, as many still use it.

I wrote a complaint email to MS calling them blithering idiots for their website IEcountdown a while back. Many people, especially in businesses use IE6 as some applications are developed to use the rendering it it and wont work properly in other browsers.

They seem to think that no-one possibly could possibly be using older OS's, programs or even hardware. MS can seem to fathom that many machines still run on win98 and serve a useful purpose. The whole IEcountdown website seems to think people still use IE6 purely because they havent thought about upgrading.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      After all the kerfuffle over the once-new vBulletin theme having such poor support for Internet Explorer 6, which was still in fairly wide use in corporate environments a couple of years ago, I was wondering what proportion of people were still stuck with it now. Poll to follow; your answer should reflect the lowest-level browser you use, but I'll make it multiple-choice anyway.

If admin wants to post figures from the server logs, we can work out how many people lie

Edit: I've assumed non-IE users use the latest version, as most browsers tend to either prompt one to install updates or update themselves by default. If you stick with an older version on purpose, feel free to explain why in the comments. Or, indeed, not to explain why. It's your computer, so you can do whatever you like. There's no reason why you should feel coerced into justifying your decisions. I was just interested, that's all. Jeez, I'm sorry I asked now. Calm down already. Lynx is fine, I use it myself when I'm pretending to be blind. Yes, it's a great way of testing accessibility. Just answer the question. OK, don't. Whatever.
      I think all my end clients have finally moved from IE6. That is not to say that ie8 is any better (its not).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

ClientCo moved off IE6 just before Christmas.

I really hated the way that different IE8 seesion sync with each other, which is a pain when you have 2 subsites from a common site open in 2 windows. They kept becoming the same page.

Have found the -nomerge commandline flag now so its working better.

At home I use FireFox.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Chrome on all my kit, IE8 on client's. The client moved off IE6 about 4-5 months ago.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Netscape
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If we are playing silly games I do use NCSA Mosaic once in a while. I have a windows 3.11 virtual machine for it when I want to score silly point scoring games.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Not used it since 1998
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Finished an NHS contract back in September, they were still on IE6, as were the 2 other public sector agencies we were working with.

Comment

Client switched to FF several months ago, but retains IE (upgraded from 6 to 8 recently) for certain CRM apps.

Comment

Working...
                    X