• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Threaded - Denmark

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threaded - Denmark

Threaded - wife has suggested going to Copenhagen for a long weekend in a few weeks - lastminute and all that.

Have you any suggestions on what to see, stay, eat, drink, look out for?
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Originally posted by hyperD
    Threaded - wife has suggested going to Copenhagen for a long weekend in a few weeks - lastminute and all that.

Have you any suggestions on what to see, stay, eat, drink, look out for?
    Pie museum.
    Pie factory.
    Pie shops.
    Local churches (for pie-ous visitors).

Comment

Well, Copenhagen is a lot smaller than Leeds for example, so there's not that much really to see, but more people can speak English, so you'll be OK.

From a contractor perspective: There's Amalienborg, one of the palaces, originally 4 houses built by four traders who made good. The Danes changed the tax rules retrospectively thereby making them bankrupt, and so now the Queen has them. There's Nyhavn, often referred to as the longest bar in the world, built by Swedish slaves. Tivoli, a pleasure park with a very long running contract with the state, I prefer Bakken up in Dyrhaven, best on a Friday night. There is Stroget, the longest pedestrian precinct in the world (runs from Tivoli down to Nyhavn), lots of 'tourist money removal' type shops.

The are these open top buses and a trip in one of those will take you to see most things.

Oh and the little mermaid, it is a mermaid, and it is little.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

When was the last time the mermaid was stolen/decapitated?

Comment

Thanks!

Any good restaurants you can recommend (inc. local food)?
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
            When was the last time the mermaid was stolen/decapitated?
            Last I heard was 2003, someone drilled a hole and filled it with low grade explosive and blew her off the rock. Earlier this year someone superglued a dildo into her free hand.

The point of the little mermaid is not the statue itself but the walk to see it. It's one of those existentialist things. Sadly many just take the bus there, look at it, and off again, so miss all the really interesting things to see.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
              Thanks!

Any good restaurants you can recommend (inc. local food)?
              In Tivoli is Groften (you will need a reservation, but normally only a few hours in advance), all the rest in and around are pretty poor, and some totally awful, apart from an Indian near the Circus on ?Axeltorv? (but you generally need a reservation there as well).

Down in Nyhavn they are all separate restaurants. Be careful though as at least one has only one choice on it's menu, so you have to find a menu that suits everyone, and then find if there is somewhere to sit, which can be a challenge.

Up Vesterbrogade, a bit of a walk, and hard to find unless you see it's picture on the net, is Restaurant Tokyo, which I frequent regular, and does real Japanese food (you generally need a reservation of a few days, and for my favourite dishes maybe a week or so).

Others I would recommend are either outside the city, such as the Rib Hus, my favourite in the centre of Roskilde, or have long waiting lists such as Kommandanten in Copenhagen (which is real good and the flower arrangements museum across the road is well worth a visit, if you don't mind paying to look at flower arrangements).

For Danish food: Ida Davidsen does these Danish open sandwiches, La Glace on Stroget does Danish pastries.

Then there are those 'Polsehorn' wagons...

Comment

Who wants to go to Copehagen to eat curry, Japanese food and hotdogs?

hyperD, try either of these. I can highly recommend them both for an excellent taste of modern Danish cuisine:

Gastronomique is in the middle of a lovely park and is quiet and relaxed. The turbot (which is a personal favourite of mine) is superb and my dining companion at the time highly commended the lobster.

Kong Hans Kaelder is in a fabulous old mediaevel building and I believe has a Michelin star these stars. Has some of the freshest seafood I have ever tasted. I had some fantastic scallops there.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  The Danes changed the tax rules retrospectively thereby making them bankrupt, and so now the Queen has them.
                  Sh1t, for a second there I thought you were talking abotu England!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                    Who wants to go to Copehagen to eat curry, Japanese food and hotdogs?
                    If you add "and pies" to that, there really is only one candidate.
                    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Working...
                    X