• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Blair backs nuclear power plans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Blair backs nuclear power plans

I thought New Lie didn't like nuclear power ?

Seems they changed their mind...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4987196.stm

'Prime Minister Tony Blair has given his strongest signal yet that he backs the building of a new generation of nuclear power stations in the UK.
    The prime minister told the CBI annual dinner that the issue was "back on the agenda with a vengeance".

'

I wonder where the 20 new nuclear power stations will be situated ? wonder what effect they'll have on the local house prices ?

Milan.

Not "oh dear" at all, more like "about bloody time".

Funnily enough, nuclear power stations are not built in the middle of towns.

Comment

Yeah but look at the privatised mess the NHS is. We're going to have a large nuclear disaster on our hands. Add to that, not one British nuclear venture has been profitable.
      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Hey, Monkey Boy, it's not about generating profit, it's about securing the UK's energy supply and reducing greenhouse emissions.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex
          Hey, Monkey Boy, it's not about generating profit, it's about securing the UK's energy supply and reducing greenhouse emissions.
          Yeah but what private venture is going to want to bother with it and I'm sure that Tony isn't going to take the cash out of the budget?
          Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

So if no one's going to pony up the money (and hence no stations will be built anyway), what's the issue?

Comment

You do seem a bit confused, TheMonkey.

Anyway, I also approve greatly of this decision. Newsnight last night gave some perspective on the scale of the problem with a great factoid. Even if all the cars in the UK were banned from driving ever again, the saving in carbon emissions would be overtaken in 51 days by the increase in emissions from China. Apparently cars contribute only 2.5% of the UK's carbon emissions.

Comment

Tony now wants nuclear power? A good thing too! Reality has finally caught up with him.

I wonder what else Tony Blair and his band of idiots will admit to being wrong about all these years?

Comment

And no doubt the waste will be dumped in some poor country that doesn't have the means or the facilities to properly process and store it all coz the NIMBYs and 'eco-warriors' in the UK will kick up a fuss. Until that's sorted we can't realistically say that nuclear power is a viable option. It's taken some committee 30 years to report that waste is a problem, so I wonder how long it will take to resolve it!

Comment

The waste is to be vitrified and buried in deep UK mines. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                    X