• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Horizons Keep fit with only 3 minutes of intensive interval training per week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horizons Keep fit with only 3 minutes of intensive interval training per week

Can anyone who saw it last night provide a precis because I missed it. Was it any good? were you convinced?
    Last edited by pacharan; 29 February 2012, 10:09.

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Can anyone who saw it last night Bridgwater with a precis because I missed it. Was it ant good were you convinced.
    I could write a short summary in English but I'm not sure that would be the right language for you.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Most of my gym sessions start with 10 minutes warm up then 10 minutes intervals on the treadmill. It worked for me!
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        My keep fit exercises comprise largely of chasing a chap in a bad wig over rocks in a desert.

Works for me.
        Crikey, is that what your missus looks like?

I'd give it a go beam end up if I were you.

Comment

Right, here it is, and it appears to work for some people to raise VO2 max and help with insuline levels, although I have lots and lots of questions I'd like to ask the researchers.

Get on an exercise bike. You ride a 20 second sprint, then rest until you've got your breath back (a sprint is full-on full speed for the full 20 seconds and not woofty poofty taking it easy or slowing down at the end; it will knacker you). Repeat another two times. Three sprints is one session. Do three sessions a week.

I can see that this would work for a lot of untrained people; High Intensity Interval Training is commonly accepted and used among sportspeople. Anyway, going from no exercise to some exercise does tend to produce noticeable results within 6 weeks or so, so no reason why this shouldn't. However, I´m not convinced this can replace the gym sessions for people who already work out regularly and the researchers didn´t claim it can. There was no information about training progression.

You need to be confident that your heart can deal with this as you'll get close to max HR, so if you haven't exercised for some years or you suspect you have a heart condition, go and see a doctor for a check up first. I noticed they said nothing about warming up before the sprints; if you're going to do the sprints running, you MUST warm up. On a bike, maybe not, but I wouldn't recommend it without a warm up; the presenter was going at it like hell on the bike and was clearly not (yet) neurologically equipped for high speed efforts, which could lead to serious muscle damage. Can't be bothered giving long winded explanation as to why.

Add to the sprint sessions by sitting down a bit less during the day; walk around whenever you get the chance to spread your movement throughout the day.

Interestingly the presenter was a so-called 'non responder'; that's somebody who seems to have no supercompensation or very little supercompensation response to training. Some people are the opposite and have a very strong response, and you'll find a lot of top sportspeople in this group. Most people are somewhere in between the two extremes. The presenter's VO2 max did not increase, but his aerobic endurance appeared to increase slightly (could be influenced by other factors like sleep, food etc) and he improved his insuline levels.
          Last edited by Mich the Tester; 29 February 2012, 10:46.

Comment

Note: AFAIK the data does not claim this method helps you lose weight, it was specifically about insulin and diabetes.

They had the guy on BBC Breeakfast yesterday and he seemed to think further research would show it does help you lose weight, but the GP they had alongside him was having to bite her tongue, you could see she thought that was crap.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Where can I get my VO2 max measured? Can I buy a machine to do it myself?
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

‘Fit in three minutes’ claim gives millions hope of Olympic gold

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Where can I get my VO2 max measured? Can I buy a machine to do it myself?
                  University sports departments are always on the look out for "guinea pigs".

I've had mine done a couple of times, but be aware that VO2Max is oxygen uptake per minute divided by weight. so if you're carrying a few extra pounds then it brings the figure down.

Also look here to get an estimate VO2 Max

Oh this is nothing new look at Tabata Training http://tabatatraining.org/
                  Last edited by Notascooby; 29 February 2012, 11:05. Reason: Added Tabata link
                  Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Note: AFAIK the data does not claim this method helps you lose weight, it was specifically about insulin and diabetes.

They had the guy on BBC Breeakfast yesterday and he seemed to think further research would show it does help you lose weight, but the GP they had alongside him was having to bite her tongue, you could see she thought that was crap.
                    Depends what you mean by 'losing weight'. If you're referring to a change in mass, then I can understand the GP's skepticism. However, short, intensive intervals can help to boost muscle growth and thereby help to eat up more fat and reduce fat levels. Also, when you do High Intensity Interval Training, you go into oxygen debt and afterwards your heart rate and oxygen uptake is likely to remain slightly higher than normal all night in bed, burning up fat. I'd have to dig up some articles on this; sports science is actually an area where it's exceedingly difficult to prove anything as there are so many variables you have to consider in comparing different methods.

However, there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that training in short, intense bursts which lead to oxygen deficit can help reduce fat levels quite quickly. I know a guy who's trained US Football teams; he says that during the end of season break a lot players just laze around and drink beer and eat burgers for a few weeks (not necessarily a bad thing as they need to give their bodies a rest and let little injuries heal) before returning to training, and the first thing he does is make them do a few sessions of tabatas, 'killer minutes' or 300 metre sprints as this seems to help to quickly get rid of the little layer of fat they've gained.
                    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 29 February 2012, 11:22.

Comment

Working...
                    X