• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Tube

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tube

Did anyone see the most recent episode of "The Tube".

Mainly about revenue retention, chasing fare dodgers, costing TFL about £20M per year.

All Oyster swipes kept for 8 weeks, CCTV at all entry exit gates, Plain clothes inspectors, they are watching you.

Unusual oyster card activity monitored and reported, watch CCTV to find the exact person, go and get them. Take them to court.

That football hooligan bloke who just forced his way through the wide gate on a regular basis, glad to see him get fined in court. And the red headphone guy too.

Seemed very proactive and I personally was pleased to see them catch some habitually offenders and even the chancers.

I hate subsidising the fare dodgers.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

I bet they missed bits where they were rude to the commuters.

I remember getting abuse once when going through with baby bp. I issued a complaint and they refused to tell me the outcome to protect their staff.

Which is why I never watch these programs. There is always spin on it. Especially ones involving the police. fookers.

Comment

Didn't watch it for similar reasons BP mentions... it's not much more than a PR boost...

I'm all for catching bastard fare dodgers but the enforcement staff are so up their own arse that someone making an honest mistake is treated the same way as a serial fare evader. On the very rare occasion that I have forgotten to pick up my travelcard I have been slapped with fines and a stinking attitude from the staff. If I try and question it they threaten me with the BTP!
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
        Didn't watch it for similar reasons BP mentions... it's not much more than a PR boost...

I'm all for catching bastard fare dodgers but the enforcement staff are so up their own arse that someone making an honest mistake is treated the same way as a serial fare evader. On the very rare occasion that I have forgotten to pick up my travelcard I have been slapped with fines and a stinking attitude from the staff. If I try and question it they threaten me with the BTP!
        Seems that they have learnt from the days of Airport where Easyjet got quite a bit of negative press by the way some of the staff responded to customers.

My favorite part of the show on Monday was the bloke going up to the woman at Leicester Square asking for two singles to Waterloo and she responded saying it was £8. He walked off in a rage shouting "£8! You can f*** right off"

It's an expensive thing the tube however when it does go to tulip at least you can get your money back unlike the trains which need to be over an hour late before they pay out.

Comment

Oh I never thought of that as much of a threat. Mind you the BR guards bag (which I use as a brief case) and the fact I know a fair few of the transport police may have something to do with it.

The question to ask is are you sure they are the force you should be asking for. There is a large amount of ambiguity between what is met jurisdiction and what is BTP's and unless its a mainly station the BTP really don't want to know.

Mind you the best bet is just to pay the fine and accept it although I can't see how you can start a journey with an oyster card but not have it when you finish.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The fines are fair enough I think, although they do smart at the time there is obviously no way they can tell you aren't bulltulipting them. The worst ones used to be when I've used my oyster card to get on the train not realising my travel card (which covered the overland trains) had expired, so I then got busted for not having a valid ticket because the overland trains didn't used to accept oyster pre pay. Luckily they have sorted that out, although they still haven't integrated the charges for the overland trains into the system that makes sure you never pay more than a daily travelcard AFAIK. "Integrated Transport System" my arse.

Their attitude generally stinks though.

If I detect one of those cheeky ****ers trying to jump through behind me I make an effort to stop just as I've gone through, I've left a few of them to get mangled by the barriers
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Mind you the best bet is just to pay the fine and accept it although I can't see how you can start a journey with an oyster card but not have it when you finish.
              My starting station does not have gates at the entry / exit. It does have a touch in/out reader but I don't need to use it as I'm on a travelcard rather than PAYG
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

My starting station does not have gates at the entry / exit. It does have a touch in/out reader but I don't need to use it as I'm on a travelcard rather than PAYG
                That is a problem which I can't see how to easily fix.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  That is a problem which I can't see how to easily fix.
                  The obvious thing would be to allow you to obtain a refund on all or part of the fine on production of your valid travelcard, perhaps with a maximum of 3 refunds a year.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    The obvious thing would be to allow you to obtain a refund on all or part of the fine on production of your valid travelcard, perhaps with a maximum of 3 refunds a year.
                    Either that or keep taxing the *stupid/forgetful/unlucky.
                    (*Delete as appropriate)

Comment

Working...
                    X