• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unemployment at 4 year high

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment at 4 year high

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4989258.stm

The number of people out of work in the UK has risen to a four-year high, according to figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
    The number of unemployed people rose to 1.59 million between January and March, up 44,000 over the quarter and 177,000 over the 12-month period.

That pushed the jobless rate up to 5.2% - the highest rate for four years - up from 5.1% in the previous three months.

The number of people on unemployment benefit also rose by 7,700 to 945,500.

The April increase in the claimant count meant that this narrower measure of unemployment has now risen for 13 of the last 14 months, the longest period of increases since the UK emerged from recession in 1992.

Yeah but it's okay to have no immigration controls, increase taxes on businesses and ensure offshoring of jobs runs as smoothly as possible.

Keep voting Labour.

Vauxhall confirms 900 job losses

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4988616.stm

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      Keep voting Labour.
      As indeed they will as long as the disability benefit, tax credits and civil service non-jobs keep flowing.

Comment

Another little revelation exposing Liebour's deceit by constantly crowing on about the economy is in excellent shape because more people are employed than ever before. (Deliberately avoiding the caveat "through employment of cheap overseas immigrant labour").

Well said DP for reminding us that also much of the so called new employment is within the public sector. The current level is not sustainable so eventually more bad news for unemployment looming. And we shouldn't forget Liebour's other way for manipulating the unemployed figures downward as mentioned by DP - by moving the unemployed over 50s onto disability benefit (and then blaming them for swinging the lead).

WRT to the Vauxhall and Peugot job losses, I noticed on the news last night that the UK hosts more car manufacturers than any other in Europe (or was it the world ?)

If this is accurate then I agree it is because it's easier for employers to lose staff here than elsewhere. But does that not mean it is more likely both other and existing manufacturers find it easier to employ British workers in the first place ?

Comment

I always wondered what would happen to all the immigrants let in on work visas once the economy turned- would they be asked to leave (the one I know plans to apply for citizenship once her time has elapsed)

It's going to be interesting (and painful) to watch the fallout from this as the wheels start to fall off Browns wagon

Comment

On contract with the NHS at the moment doing a 'non job'

The only thing that keeps me sane is the fact that I am getting a load of my taxes back from the fat bobble-eyed controller.
            If I stay here for another few months it means my next two years contracting will effectively be tax free

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
              It's going to be interesting (and painful) to watch the fallout from this as the wheels start to fall off Browns wagon
              Labour always leave office with unemployment higher than they inherited. Not sure what the figure was in May 1997 but were starting to get closer to it.

Also, with the (dodgy) claimant count going up by 7000/8000per month we should hit the politically sensitive 1 million figure over the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart-floot
                Also, with the (dodgy) claimant count going up by 7000/8000per month we should hit the politically sensitive 1 million figure over the summer.
                Shouldn't have too much difficulty - it's already at 1.59 million.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
                  Shouldn't have too much difficulty - it's already at 1.59 million.
                  He means claimants.

Comment

Those claiming unemployment benefit vs claimants

Sorry but the distinction is momentarily lost on me.

Comment

Working...
                    X