• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hired Car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hired Car

Guys, as a contractor do you rent a car for travel (one off) to another site through the limited company or through the client's insurance?
    I need to book a car for travel to another site the client has for a meeting and am wondering if I should take my own car but that has personal insurance rather than business.

Thanks
    Amar

I think you'll find that adding "Business Use" to your own car insurance won't cost much, if anything.

If you do decide to rent, that's an allowable expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Amar View Post
      Guys, as a contractor do you rent a car for travel (one off) to another site through the limited company or through the client's insurance?
      I need to book a car for travel to another site the client has for a meeting and am wondering if I should take my own car but that has personal insurance rather than business.

Thanks
      Amar
      Take your own car and invoice the client for the mileage from the main office to the meeting and back again (45p or an agreed price per mile),You will want to get this cleared by the client first, personal insurance is not an issue as your only doing a one off journey, if your job was travelling from site to site every day you would need business cover.

or you could ask them if they have a pool car and go in the cclients Fiat Panda

Comment

Just get a rental and bill the client an extra day to cover the £100 cost of hiring the car.

Comment

Thanks
          Amar
          If you have your home or anywhere else other than the clients site nominated as your permanent place of work (i.e. your client is your temporary place of work) you are already using your car for business. The travel from your perm place to your temp place is classed exactly the same as driving from one temp place to another temp place.

You should already have business use on your car. You are NOT commuting so are already exceeding your insurance class.

As pointed out it costs next to nothing to have it on.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I will contact my insurance company and get the insurance cover changed. Plan has changed, I will now be travelling on the train and invoice the client for the cost.

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I will contact my insurance company and get the insurance cover changed. Plan has changed, I will now be travelling on the train and invoice the client for the cost.
              You have confirmation from them on this I take it?

Comment

Thanks Guys,

1st class I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  You have confirmation from them on this I take it?
                  Yes, They are ok with it.

Hahaha, I dont think it will be first class. I used the PCG contract template to create the contract which states that all travel will be second class I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X