• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Teaching kids to program

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching kids to program

I'm glad the penny seems to be dropping.

Has anyone here tried letting the little ones loose with Scratch? Are there any similar efforts I should check out?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

You may as well dig your old BBC computer out from the attic/basement.

If they aren't fascinated by that then they aren't going to want to learn.

You may as well look at teachers resources
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      You may as well dig your old BBC computer out from the attic/basement.

If they aren't fascinated by that then they aren't going to want to learn.

You may as well look at teachers resources
      And:

Code Year
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Programming is for Bobs!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Programming is for Bobs!!
          As a profession, perhaps, but I think learning how to write programs has an intrinsic educational value and it's something all children should be exposed to, a bit like learning a foreign language.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Indeed. IT lessons don't go much further than adding up a column of numbers in Excel.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
              Indeed. IT lessons don't go much further than adding up a column of numbers in Excel.
              Exactly. And that's a waste, because teaching programming can indirectly expose children to a lot of other concepts, all of which are useful things to have in their mental toolbox. Aside from encouraging logical reasoning about problems it might even make them better at maths and English, and it will tend to encourage their natural scientist as well.

Comment

Although for that matter, teaching how to program macros in Excel isn't too terrible, and actually shows a real-world value to why even non programmers might find it useful.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Logo's been around for a long time, I remember a version for Amstrad's CP/M boxes. I believe it can even be used in browser these days.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    Logo's been around for a long time, I remember a version for Amstrad's CP/M boxes. I believe it can even be used in browser these days.
                    Yes!!!!!!!

Logo Interpreter
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X