• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best destination when abandoning ship

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best destination when abandoning ship

Time to put those fingers on the buttons folks.
    USA
    12.28%
    Canada
    12.28%
    Australia
    12.28%
    New Zealand
    10.53%
    Big Mainland EU country (e.g. France, Germany)
    10.53%
    Eastern Europe
    3.51%
    Med area (Spain, Italy, Malta, Cyprus etc)
    17.54%
    Isle of Man or nearby tax haven
    3.51%
    Somewhere VERY different (South America, Africa)
    14.04%
    I would never leave GB, it's the fecking best in the world!!!
    3.51%

The poll is expired.

Anyone know what the deal is on getting into Australia (actually Tasmania) if you plan to run your own business rather than get employment?

I believe (might be wrong) that you are given a 2 year temp visa and at the end of 2 years they audit your books and if over a certain turnover (profit?) you are allowed to stay otherwise booted.

Is this correct?

You can get some stunning huge homes (set in a few acres of land) in Tasmania for the price of a flea pit, piss stained ex council house in London.

Oh and no Blair either.
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 17 May 2006, 12:13.

Comment

Just lose your passport and claim asylum.

Comment

I think you're talking about the business visa. It's for an initial 4 years. If you are over 45 the financial thresholds (to demonstrate you can support yourself) are lower. No ideas what level they are at though.

55 or over and you can go for a retirement visa, provided you can show enough assets. You are allowed to do some limited work.

There was a programme which basically said "show us you have enough money to support yourself". I think this has gone now.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
          Just lose your passport and claim asylum.
          That only works here.

Comment

I can always go back to Canada - I'm a citizen. But my wife would surely complain about the winter. She complains about the ones here bad enough.

I'd like to move to Oz but NZ in much easier to get into.

The main problem most people have with moving such a great distance is how far you are from relatives...always a mental hurdle.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

And why no Scandinavia on the poll options?
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

...and in Switzerland for the price of a tiny terraced house in Rotherham you can get a huge mansion not far from Zurich

Admittedly not as nice as the stunning huge home in Tasmania, but then it is dirt cheap.

However if you were to prepared to live in the "country" you could have

this nice house in the country
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 May 2006, 13:30.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
                  The main problem most people have with moving such a great distance is how far you are from relatives...always a mental hurdle.
                  If you knew my family, and the inlaws, you'd consider this a plus point

Comment

India. Beat them at their own game.

Comment

Working...
                    X