• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

50% tax rate is damaging the economy.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50% tax rate is damaging the economy.

The 50p higher rate of income tax is “damaging the economy” and delaying the recovery from recession, more than 500 entrepreneurs and business owners warn today.

In a letter to The Daily Telegraph, the bosses of small and medium sized firms across the country say the levy has meant they have not expanded their firms and taken on more workers.

They accuse George Osborne, the Chancellor, of putting “populist politics before sound economics”. Calling for it to be scrapped, they add that the ongoing imposition of the 50p higher rate of tax has left “wealth creators” in a “very awkward position”.

The intervention is likely to alarm the Government ministers as those who have signed today’s letter represent the “bedrock” of British industry, whose future success is key to the economic recovery. It is the first time that these ordinary business owners have set out the damage caused by the levy.
    Public criticism of the 50p rate had been largely limited to the heads of multi-national businesses and international entrepreneurs.

In today’s letter, the 537 businessmen say: “Given the current state of the UK economy, we urge the Chancellor to urgently consider scrapping the top rate of tax in his forthcoming budget.

50p tax rate is damaging economy and delaying recovery from recession, warn 500 business leaders - Telegraph
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    The 50p higher rate of income tax is “damaging the economy” and delaying the recovery from recession, more than 500 entrepreneurs and business owners warn today.

In a letter to The Daily Telegraph, the bosses of small and medium sized firms across the country say the levy has meant they have not expanded their firms and taken on more workers.

They accuse George Osborne, the Chancellor, of putting “populist politics before sound economics”. Calling for it to be scrapped, they add that the ongoing imposition of the 50p higher rate of tax has left “wealth creators” in a “very awkward position”.

The intervention is likely to alarm the Government ministers as those who have signed today’s letter represent the “bedrock” of British industry, whose future success is key to the economic recovery. It is the first time that these ordinary business owners have set out the damage caused by the levy.
    Public criticism of the 50p rate had been largely limited to the heads of multi-national businesses and international entrepreneurs.

In today’s letter, the 537 businessmen say: “Given the current state of the UK economy, we urge the Chancellor to urgently consider scrapping the top rate of tax in his forthcoming budget.

50p tax rate is damaging economy and delaying recovery from recession, warn 500 business leaders - Telegraph
    IT contractors are not affected by this
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Interesting how an American term has made it over the pond so quickly.

IMHO it is the overall level of high taxation that will completely stall the economy. But hey, GO & MK can just keep printing money to pay the debt.

I'm scanning the websites of Oz and NZ for a way in.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
        The 50p higher rate of income tax is “damaging the economy” and delaying the recovery from recession, more than 500 entrepreneurs and business owners high earners warn today.
        Hardly unbiased...
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Hardly unbiased...
          Quite. Biased towards business - we dont want that do we? They should have asked Polly Toynbee for her opinion.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

No biased because they are personally affected by the 50% tax. Few entrepreneurs are hiring people on 100k+ salaries but they might be earning that themselves.

It'd be like asking contractors if we should have to pay employer's NI - it's in our self-interest to say no.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I find some of the arguments a little difficult to understand.
              They say they are not encouraged to invest in their businesses due to the 50p tax rate.
              Surely by investing in the business they are reducing their own incomes and therefore lowering their tax bill? It is possible to expand a business to make it more secure, not purely for profit.
              Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

No biased because they are personally affected by the 50% tax. Few entrepreneurs are hiring people on 100k+ salaries but they might be earning that themselves.

It'd be like asking contractors if we should have to pay employer's NI - it's in our self-interest to say no.
                Most of them would have very good accountants anyway and probably are just below the threshold on their "income".

'course it would be too much to ask for the lower ranks to have their tax reduced wouldn't it...naahhh cuz' we pay for everything.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

You are quite right of course that vested interests are prevailing here. It does'nt bother me as an employer because I dont pay tax at that rate even if I earn that amount of money and nor do/would you.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    Most of them would have very good accountants anyway and probably are just below the threshold on their "income".

'course it would be too much to ask for the lower ranks to have their tax reduced wouldn't it...naahhh cuz' we pay for everything.
                    It never seems to occur to them to spread the wealth either. Why not reduce their own income by paying their staff more, thus increasing staff loyalty?
                    Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Working...
                    X