• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fisticuffs at Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fisticuffs at Work

Anyone ever witnessed any physical violence in your professional life?

I only ask because somebody's just been instantly dismissed for whacking someone here.

There were two of them outside having a fag break discussing the new apartments that have gone up opposite. One of them suggests that all these flats are equipped with kitchen diners. The other guy takes umbrage at this suggestion and out of nowhere SMECK! - the first guy's on the floor, blood streaming from his nose. All preserved for posterity on the company's CCTV cameras.

Don't ask me why he was so violently opposed to the idea of an apartment having a kitchen diner; I think there was some history between them and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Or maybe it's a cultural thing - he's S. African; they never seem to need much of an excuse.

So MF is contract hunting again.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Not witness as such.

Can you be a witness if you're actually involved in the fight?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Can you be a witness if you're actually involved in the fight?
        Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Yes.
          WMCNS!!!
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

If it was outside should the company get involved atall? Isn't it a police matter?

Comment

I once got into a bit of pushing and shoving with a colleague as there was a dispute as to who should be using the soldering iron.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Seen a guy glassed, a few fights, some chairs and tables broken. Even had my glasses broken and had a few stitches once.

The delights of working in a pub

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                  maybe it's a cultural thing - he's S. African; they never seem to need much of an excuse.
                  That's oracleslave. The other must be right poof to get knocked down by him.

Perhaps they're looking for a test manager who can deal out the punches now?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Back when I was permie, a bunch of us - perm and contract - went out drinking one night for someone's leaving do. One of the contractors had a bit too much to drink, and tried to pick a fight with me over some perceived slight in the pub. Told him he'd better calm down, he "warned' me he was on probation for GBH, I yawned and that was the end of it. A couple of weeks later, when I was on holiday, apparently he actually offered another permie outside for "a chat" about some problem or other he'd been challenged on. The permie got as far as downstairs and to the door before he worked out what "a chat" meant. Contractor was out on his backside within half an hour. Rightly so, too. Even though the permie in question was a known obnoxious tulipball, and privately everybody agreed "It was only a matter of time", you just can't behave like that in a professional environment. If, somehow, anybody ever did provoke me into belting them in the workplace, somehow, I'd just assume that was the gig over there and then.

Comment

Working...
                    X