• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chapmanslade Water Tower

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapmanslade Water Tower

We are not alone...

Still hungry to get some better shots of the water tower made of two faceted cones, the base was tall, tapering narrowly as it reached the
    second inverted faceted cone that flairs out.

An absolutely fantastic building. Hard to get to but next sunny day we'll be there.

Looking forward to making a scaled down version of it in the near future.

Today, however, I nipped up to Chapmanslade to get a picture of their
    modest tower for all you water tower fans out there.

Chapmanslade is an amazing name for a place, for me it always conjurs up images of Jake and Dinos Chapmans Chapmanworld combined with Slade, Noddy Holder with a ****face nose, maybe not.

Got to the site next to a layby, a large sign saying KEEP OUT, which roughly translated into Skreegalese meens get in quick before you get spotted. Cut through the hedge and got the picture before a bull appeared from behind the black wrapped silage and I hastily got out of the field.

Still, not bad for a midweek water tower.

I feel this will be the first of many
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I must confess I take them for granted, there being a number of them in the area I live. It's always the way, isn't it.

I used to pass a couple of them every day on the way to work. Shooters Way in Berkhamsted is a nice one, which I pass on my way to the A41 dual carriageway. And the one in Gaddesden Row, which I sometimes use to get to Hemel Hempstead. After reading of this chap's enthusiasm I'll certainly look at them in a different light next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        I must confess I take them for granted, there being a number of them in the area I live. It's always the way, isn't it.

I used to pass a couple of them every day on the way to work. Shooters Way in Berkhamsted is a nice one, which I pass on my way to the A41 dual carriageway. And the one in Gaddesden Row, which I sometimes use to get to Hemel Hempstead. After reading of this chap's enthusiasm I'll certainly look at them in a different light next time.
        Perhaps you could post a few pics DS

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
          Perhaps you could post a few pics DS
          I'll see what I can do but I don't promise anything soon. My current journey takes me away from the two aforementioned towers and past Tring Reservoirs instead. There's a water tower at Halton, although it is mostly hidden by trees and that is not a good place to stop and take a picture.

I think there's another one between Aston Clinton and Tring. My memory might be playing tricks, but if there is that might be the best bet.

Comment

I'll see what I can do but I don't promise anything soon. My current journey takes me away from the two aforementioned towers and past Tring Reservoirs instead. There's a water tower at Halton, although it is mostly hidden by trees and that is not a good place to stop and take a picture.

I think there's another one between Aston Clinton and Tring. My memory might be playing tricks, but if there is that might be the best bet.
            Oooh, I know Aston Clinton. My aunty lives there.

Ever been to the Duck Inn?

Comment

Oooh, I know Aston Clinton. My aunty lives there.

Ever been to the Duck Inn?
              I sometimes pass it and think it would be nice to drop in for a quickie, but no, I haven't yet. Interestingly, it has now reverted back to the Bell. I don't know why they changed its name in the first place, perhaps they did it when it became one of that chain of gastro pubs.

Not far away, around the back of Aston Clinton not far from the Bell, there's a pub owned by Mark Webber. I keep meaning to pop round the back one day and have a quick one pulled by a famous racing driver!

Does your auntie know Mr Webber?

Comment

Does your auntie know Mr Webber?
                Not as far as I know. She lives and breathes tortoises so I don't think their paths are likely to cross.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  I feel this will be the first of many
                  Thought this one was very artistic:

Comment

Not as far as I know. She lives and breathes tortoises so I don't think their paths are likely to cross.
                    That's fascinating, she must know a lot about them. Does she breed pedigree tortoises? A Galapagos perhaps? No that would be too big wouldn't it. Is there a tortoisey equivalent of Crufts?

Comment

Working...
                    X