• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone contracted in Rio?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone contracted in Rio?

Possible gig on the cards at a bank in Rio. I've never been. Would probably be 12 months.

Can you do it on the cheap without risking getting killed? I'm on a cash grab, not a twavelling twip.

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    Possible gig on the cards at a bank in Rio. I've never been. Would probably be 12 months.

Can you do it on the cheap without risking getting killed? I'm on a cash grab, not a twavelling twip.
    If you're serious I may be able to put you in contact with someone who has property to rent over there
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Worked there for 6 months in 2000.

Had a great time there; didn't experience any problems at all though there are certain areas to avoid.

I've heard that they have sanitised the touristy areas, i.e Copacabana and Ipanema and that all the street acts you used to see performing & pedding their wares are no longer there. All in the name of security. Shame if it's true because that was one of my favourite aspects of that place.

Comment

get an inflation related per diem

get an inflation related rate

get a 24/7 security gated apartment block

its very expensive

lots of good looking ladies some/many of whom rely on the kindness of strangers

Comment

Never worked there, but drunk some on a contract once.

HTH

Comment

I have careless memories of the place but save a prayer for the children that are hungry like the wolf.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
              get an inflation related per diem

get an inflation related rate

get a 24/7 security gated apartment block
              its very expensive

lots of good looking ladies some/many of whom rely on the kindness of strangers
              WFS, Wifes Uncle has been out there 10 years definately get the secure apartment, its very corrupt, police on the take that kind of thing, he will not drive they pay one of the locals to drive them around he says they often see people who have been knocked over just lying in the street, and its the same as every where else try and blend in and not look like a tourist

Comment

Vs

Feck it's no contest
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

The thing I recall about Rio is the smell from the ethanol fueled vehicles

....and the crumpet
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                    WFS, Wifes Uncle has been out there 10 years definately get the secure apartment, its very corrupt, police on the take that kind of thing, he will not drive they pay one of the locals to drive them around he says they often see people who have been knocked over just lying in the street, and its the same as every where else try and blend in and not look like a tourist
                    Don't wear fook all flash, as you will get mugged, sometimes with malice. Travelled there in the 80's, mugged twice, once by knife, in which it was used just because they could. Still have the scar on my chest, my aussie friend whom I was with still has a gaping scar on his shoulder where he was cut for fun.

I am told by friends who have since visited, for I shall never darken its shores again, that nowadays, at night, you're likely to simply be killed and then robbed, as it's less hookey for the mugger than to fight with strangers.

Not a place I really enjoyed if I am going to be honest, but then muggings do jade the memory of a place a touch. I know many will say there are didgy folk everywhere, but this place has more than it's fair share.

Was once told a story by a Brazilian in London. He said when god was making the earth, after he'd finished, he thought he'd ****ed up, South america was far too nice, much nicer than everywhere else. So to balance it up, he put south americans there....
                    Last edited by Zoiderman; 2 March 2012, 13:12.

Comment

Working...
                    X