• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS raises mortgage rates as Halifax prepares to follow suit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RBS raises mortgage rates as Halifax prepares to follow suit

Halifax, which was Britain's largest mortgage lender before the credit crunch, wrote to borrowers telling them that it was increasing the cap on its standard variable rate (SVR) from 3 percentage points above Bank Rate to 3.75 points in three months' time.

If it then acted to move its rate up in line with the cap, around a million borrowers would end up paying 4.25pc on their mortgage as opposed to 3.5pc.

RBS raises mortgage rates as Halifax prepares to follow suit - Telegraph
    Which while only a small (4.25%-3.5%) = 0.75% difference, is a whopping 4.25%/3.5% = 1.21 times as much in mortgage payments.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Which while only a small (4.25%-3.5%) = 0.75% difference, is a whopping 4.25%/3.5% = 1.21 times as much in mortgage payments.
    Bankers heeded the message of making big profits for banks in order to justify their big bonuses

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      I suppose with prices sliding slightly there is more negative equity (and mortgages harder to get) so people have to pay?

Comment

You say RBS but really it's the government who is increasing rates by the back door.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          You say RBS but really it's the government who is increasing rates by the back door.
          That's true - rampart money printing by Sir Merv resulted in high inflation so banks now need to make 5-7% margin on capital employed just to avoid having it devalued, not having to pay savers anything is no longer enough so they increase prices.

Comment

Curiously I also received a letter about my agreed overdraft. it made me laugh because this is an account with £0.01 in it that I haven't used in three years and I dont even have the card for anymore.

Anyway the curious bit was that the charges were going up and that charges would also be applied on weekend and holidays. If I went into the bank on saturday and made a deposit what are the chances that it would be applied that day. Zero I'd say. Looks like they are desperate for cash anyway they can get it.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
            X