• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will the UK property bubble ever burst?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 7 June 2022, 18:42.

Not in Wandsworth it won't...

Comment

"A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post

Seems like the powers-that-be are hell-bent on keeping the bubble inflated, what with QE, long term low interest rates, mass uncontrolled immigration, not enough houses being built, etc.

I considered doing BTL in the late 90's and read two books about it. Unfortunately I didn't go ahead... doh! I still wonder even now whether I should jump in with a BTL. But I wonder if I'm too late. It would be sods law if I bought in and then the long anticipated property market crash happened! But how likely is that, what with the BOE apparently doing all they can to prevent house prices from falling?

Then again... don't all booms eventually end in bust? Can it really be "different this time"? Or will events or the market overtake the desperate meddling of the powers-that-be?

Seems to me that no matter how clever we think we are, there are always unforseen events that happen out-of-the-blue, which can change the situation radically. As the saying goes... the only certainties in life are death and taxes!
        It does not matter if it bursts, if you don't need to sell it will not affect you.
        BTL is a question of profit, loss and risk.
        Can you buy something and rent it for more than your costs.
        Can you handle bad renters ?
        Risk, if interest rates go up, can you still cover your costs.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I'd consider letting a viable alternative to a pension, even if the annual yield did not break-even.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            I'd consider letting a viable alternative to a pension, even if the annual yield did not break-even.
            Then you're an idiot.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              Then you're an idiot.
              That's it? No explanation as to why?
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

That's it? No explanation as to why?
                It's so obvious it's not even worth bothering.

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                  It's so obvious it's not even worth bothering.
                  Two posts later and still you are unable to say? 'I don't know' is allowed you know.

Comment

Two posts later and still you are unable to say? 'I don't know' is allowed you know.
                    If you can't see why an investment that makes you a loss every year, already has a massively inflated value, requires significant management and maintenance overhead, is entirely non diversified, is illiquid, is massively correlated to the future prospects for UK employment and economic growth, and is a ready-made opportunity for additional taxation by desperate governments is not a viable alternative to a pension, then I don't think I can help you.
                    Last edited by Freamon; 3 March 2012, 09:21.

Comment

Working...
                    X