• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Secretary presents...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Secretary presents...

Workers taken ill on holiday will be given extra time off

Workers who become ill during their holidays will be legally entitled to extra time off work under controversial plans to be introduced later this year by Vince Cable, the Business Secretary.

Under the changes to the working time directive, time taken off work for sickness, maternity and paternity leave must be given to workers in addition to their legal right to annual leave.

If a worker becomes ill during annual leave, employers will have to give them the extra time off after they have produced a sick note. The new legal regulations will be introduced in October and the Government estimates that they will cost employers more than £100 million annually.

Ministers claim that the new regime must be introduced following several European legal judgments.

However, the rules will add to growing concerns over the impact of regulation on British firms, which is thought to be undermining the economic recovery.

Source: Workers taken ill on holiday will be given extra time off - Telegraph

Ok that's nice, but surely Business Secretary should have something good for businesses also, so far it seems his job title should be Labour Union Secretary.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Ok that's nice, but surely Business Secretary should have something good for businesses also, so far it seems his job title should be Labour Union Secretary.
    Do you think that legal entitlement to holiday is a net benefit for businesses or not?
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      Do you think that legal entitlement to holiday is a net benefit for businesses or not?
      Yes, I also think it's a good idea for employees to get extra days off in case they are unlucky to go ill on their planned holiday, however what I am saying is that Business Secretary in my view should be putting forward things that are also beneficial to businesses and so far I have not heard of anything.

And I thought Vince Cable was fit to be Chancellor

Comment

Yes, I also think it's a good idea for employees to get extra days off in case they are unlucky to go ill on their planned holiday, however what I am saying is that Business Secretary in my view should be putting forward things that are also beneficial to businesses and so far I have not heard of anything.

You say "also beneficial to businesses", but you also seem to agree that compulsary holiday is a benefit to businesses, so why is this new policy not also a net benefit to businesses?
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

You say "also beneficial to businesses", but you also seem to agree that compulsary holiday is a benefit to businesses, so why is this new policy not also a net benefit to businesses?
          It is a benefit to employees and also by extension to businesses however I'd expect this sort of policy to be put forward by a labour union and I have not seen anything that can reduce costs to businesses from this suppposedly business secretary.

Is that clear?

Comment

You were so wrong about Vince Cable. If he were a horse they would have shot him by now.

Comment

It is a benefit to employees and also by extension to businesses however I'd expect this sort of policy to be put forward by a labour union and I have not seen anything that can reduce costs to businesses from this suppposedly business secretary.

Is that clear?
              Clearer. Initially it looked like you were saying the new policy was anti-business, which I don't think it is.

Comment

Clearer. Initially it looked like you were saying the new policy was anti-business, which I don't think it is.
                It's not, however it's certainly something Labour Union would love to hear and it will certainly increase business costs, but the point is that Vince is not doing his job in the first place and also gets into way of others.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  You were so wrong about Vince Cable.
                  I was

Comment

When I was a permy I knackered the ligaments in my foot falling off a roof whilst drunk, I had my leg in plaster and had 3 weeks off before going on holiday to Turkey for 2 weeks followed by another week off before going back. I was most pleased to have 2 weeks holiday added back to my entitlement on my return.

They pay peanuts to allow for tulip like this.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X