• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bandwidth just got bigger. Potentially infinitely bigger.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandwidth just got bigger. Potentially infinitely bigger.

Dumbed down version: BBC News - 'Twisted' waves could boost capacity of wi-fi and TV
    Trickier version from the horse's mouth : Encoding many channels on the same frequency through radio vorticity: first experimental test

Basically they make use of the angular momentum in EM (radio) waves that potentially will allow an infinite number of channels to be encoded within a given frequency.

Though it appears they have only sent two channels down one frequency so far.

This novel radio technique allows the implementation of, in principle, an infinite number of channels in a given, fixed bandwidth, even without using polarization, multiport or dense coding techniques. This paves the way for innovative techniques in radio science and entirely new paradigms in radio communication protocols that might offer a solution to the problem of radio-band congestion.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Though it appears they have only sent two channels down one frequency so far.
    Is this not what terrestrial TV and satellite already do with horizontal and vertical polarisation?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Photon orbital spin (as opposed to quantum spin, which is different) must be very difficult to modulate, and perhaps even to receive/decode, because it's been known about since the 1870s (James Clerk Maxwell), and I've never come across OM radio.

Same thing presumably applies to polarisation modulation - I mean we don't hear of "PM radio" either, although I think another problem is that it's fairly directional, which obviouslt isn't ideal for radio. But it might be handy some day as an extra channel type in line-of-sight space comms for example.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Photon orbital spin (as opposed to quantum spin, which is different) must be very difficult to modulate, and perhaps even to receive/decode, because it's been known about since the 1870s (James Clerk Maxwell), and I've never come across OM radio.

Same thing presumably applies to polarisation modulation - I mean we don't hear of "PM radio" either, although I think another problem is that it's fairly directional, which obviouslt isn't ideal for radio. But it might be handy some day as an extra channel type in line-of-sight space comms for example.
        Just did a bit of quick digging and people in the know appear to be saying it's over-hyped.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Is this not what terrestrial TV and satellite already do with horizontal and vertical polarisation?
          It sounded to me a bit like circular polarisation encoding, but I don't know.

Comment

That's exactly what SKA needs

Comment

Working...
            X