• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Other contractors taking credit for your work...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other contractors taking credit for your work...

Im just 6 working days away from the end of a contract and moving into the joys of permiedom, and now the contractor sitting next to me (ex-Accenture .. I know, I know....) seems to have started taking credit for work I have done over the last two weeks...

I had even joked with him this morning about how someone at a previous company had done a 'search and replace' on my code, swapping his name for mine, and how id had to humiliate the guy... 2 hours later he is sitting right next to me loudly explaining how 'he' had written some code that in fact I was solely my work.... it turns out he was in a meeting, pontificated about a solution he had developed, and then was busy writing a proposal based on the code I had showed him on Monday!

So, although I really shouldnt get worked up about something thats pretty trivial, I just dont like little tulipes trying it on.

So, suggestions for revenge most welcome....
    Vieze Oude Man

If you're leaving in 6 days, just forget it and move on. No one will give a tulipe who developed the code in a week's time and trying to get revenge will just make you look petty.
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

I always think that mindless violence would solve all life's problems. I am only constrained from following my own principles by being weedy and a complete coward.

It seems to me that this is one area of "theft" where there is no loss. You, and he and uncle Tom Cobbly and all can take credit for your work and probably nobody will ever notice. Please send me a copy in return for this sage and most Confucious-like advice so I can take credit for it too.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Cobbleigh
        Confucius

I'll take the credit for that, thanks very much.

Mcquiggd, just forget it as Spartacus says. No client gives a flying fart who develops the code and neither should you. It's not like they're going to be paying you royalties or anything.

Comment

I might let slip into conversation tomorrow that I've converted to islam... that should scare him....

I happen to do a car share with the 2nd in command in the dev team ... I bit my tongue on the way home tonight for the reason mentioned above - it's not good to sour things with a client by looking petty....

I think i'll cut his head off instead.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Well if he 'wrote' it then surely he'll have to support it when it goes wrong!!!
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

No need to go to extremes mcquiggd, you'll give the rest of us a bad rep.

My suggestion, just delete all the code, the stuff in source control and whereever else it is and problem solved, no-one can take credit for something which no longer exists.

Jeez, it's like teaching people how to scratch their a*se on this board.

Comment

So how long is it going to take him to fix the bugs that are suddenly appearing in "his code", After all, he cannot ask you to fix them can he - seeing as it is his code.
                Unless of course, everyone knows you were doing the development beforehand - at which point management sit there, listen to him, smile sweetly, say what a brilliant idea, and laugh at him behind his back. Seen that happen before. What they said to his face, and about him when he wasn't there were VERY different.
                Revenge can be very subtle, and sweet!

Comment

Don't worry JB, ill go permie, then behead him....

Originally posted by dmini
                  Unless of course, everyone knows you were doing the development beforehand - at which point management sit there, listen to him, smile sweetly, say what a brilliant idea, and laugh at him behind his back. Seen that happen before. What they said to his face, and about him when he wasn't there were VERY different.
                  Revenge can be very subtle, and sweet!
                  Well, the PM, the senior analyst, and half the team were in the meeting where I raised this particular part of the UI as an issue, making me somewhat unpopular at the time (the UI for this web app was designed by the DBAs before I joined!) with pointed comments such as 'well I wish we could just say "its difficult so we wont do it"', but, as I am responsible for the architecture of the .Net side of the system, which is financed by the Scottish Executive and may well be rolled out across quite a few councils, maybe even the whole country, I spent days finding a solution that was realistic for a web app, and helped the db people too...

Mildly irksome to then have someone so blatantly 'mug me' in broad daylight I guess!

Oh well, another glass of Chablis and a quick trip over to Test Please Delete is in order I think....
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                    I might let slip into conversation tomorrow that I've converted to islam... that should scare him....

I happen to do a car share with the 2nd in command in the dev team ... I bit my tongue on the way home tonight for the reason mentioned above - it's not good to sour things with a client by looking petty....

I think i'll cut his head off instead.
                    You should do well in permiedom!

You've got the whinging tart-like behaviour down to a tee!

Comment

Working...
                    X