• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public IP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public IP

Trying to get titcam online. Bought an IP convertor and have set up on local static IP, and can view camera via browser on my home network.

Not having any joy exposing it on the public ip.

Router thing is Netgear VMDG280. Have set up port forwarding on the local IP (port 80 - I know I may need an additional port for media (9000?), but will worry about that when I get something working).

Router doesn't have 'bridge' mode - lots of whinging on the VM forums about this - promised 'soon' in firmware upgrade. Don't know if this is my problem.

Using PFPortChecker I get the following message:

"Could not test port 80 because some other application has that port locked. Please close any applications that may be using this port and try again."

This stuff is a bit of a dark art to me - anyone got any bright ideas?

Ta

I think you need to access it from outside your own network.

Do you have access to a remote system that you can point at port 80 of your IP address?

Or try it from a neighbour's house?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Can't access from my phone, and Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up? shows it down.

Comment

Titcam? really?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Titcam? really?
          Did you miss my thread? Not too late to catch up on the action!

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...e-my-tits.html

Comment

Does it work in the dark? I want to set up a mouse cam in my shed to watch the little buggers eat the peanuts and seed I put down for them
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Does it work in the dark? I want to set up a mouse cam in my shed to watch the little buggers eat the peanuts and seed I put down for them
              Yep - got IR. The only time the picture quality is poor is for about half an hour at dawn and dusk.

Comment

What IP address are you trying to reach from outside? If its one of your own internal IPs then it wont work. You have to connect to the external IP that you have NATed.
                World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
                  What IP address are you trying to reach from outside? If its one of your own internal IPs then it wont work. You have to connect to the external IP that you have NATed.
                  Yep - I think that's the problem. The external IP isn't pingable (I thought it was as it pings from our local network, but having dispatched OH to office he's getting no response).

Router seems to have very few options - I tried the 'enable remote management' option and that didn't work either - still can't ping. I've set port forwarding on port 80. There doesn't seem to be anything else that looks relevant. Will keep googling...

Comment

I think remote management is usually to allow you to access the settings dashboard from outside your network. Probably best to leave it off.

What do you get if you go to www.whatismyip.com? If you that's the same IP you gave to your OH to check then maybe his office firewall is blocking it.

Comment

Working...
                    X