• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Church schools shun poorest pupils?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Church schools shun poorest pupils?

Church schools shun poorest pupils | Education | guardian.co.uk

"The findings will fuel claims that faith schools have been picking pupils from well-off families by selecting on the basis of religion."

Well maybe more intelligent people(who are more likely to be well off) are more religious?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

"The findings will fuel claims that faith schools have been picking pupils from well-off families by selecting on the basis of religion."

Well maybe more intelligent people(who are more likely to be well off) are more religious?
    Or more likely to know how to play the system to get their kids into a church school. (I know I did!)

Comment

That's only the case if the school is oversubscribed and if the council let a school get away with setting an admissions criteria that ensures no non religious children get in (and they shouldn't). I lay odds that the guardian won't be happy when its pointed out that its a local authority screw up if this occurs.

I've been very careful at the school I'm a governor of and much to the disgust of the PCC at my church the rules are designed to ensure while religious children can get in its not usually more than 25% of the intake.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        Or more likely to know how to play the system to get their kids into a church school. (I know I did!)
        Okay - its a fair cop.

But with faith schools it is easy to play the system. Turn up at church every week for 2 years. I can spot them at my local church - they are the non Christians.....

Comment

Okay - its a fair cop.

But with faith schools it is easy to play the system. Turn up at church every week for 2 years. I can spot them at my local church - they are the non Christians.....
          That's not a very Christian thing for you to say!

Comment

Saw this happen.
            Best local school is Catholic. Local Councillor worked the system to get his thick as pig tulip daughter in. Funniest bit was seeing him dropped as school governor of the other school he deemed unfit for his kid. Typical New Labour pillock.

**I have no issues with religious schools, I am all for them having a closde door policy, but they should be self funding and teach the recognised curriculum before adding their religious bent.
            Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Okay - its a fair cop.

Must admit, didn't even have to do that - and I guess for really poor families finding an extra couple of quid each week for collection is itself a barrier. Went occasionally to the Brownies services and packed kids off to Crusaders on a Friday evening. Vicar seemed quite happy to write reference letter based on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                That's not a very Christian thing for you to say!
                I would agree if their actions affected me. I would turn the other cheek. But when it affects the kids - who stands up for them?

Mrs BP left the children's room humilation by parents stares at her after baby BP's behaviour - he is autistic. And once I got parked in so was late collecting twins - elder son got very upset and tuliped himself every day for 2 weeks.

WWJD? Well I would like to know what he would do if he had kids!

Comment

Okay - its a fair cop.

Until you rewrite the rules

We've made the documentation that needs to go alongside the application very clear cut. Oh and 5 churches are now virtually automatically excluded due to past misdemeanour's unless confirmed from elsewhere.

The discovery that I would happily reject applications from vicar's I didn't trust got as far as the diocese. From what I gather their response was not what the vicar expected.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    Must admit, didn't even have to do that - and I guess for really poor families finding an extra couple of quid each week for collection is itself a barrier. Went occasionally to the Brownies services and packed kids off to Crusaders on a Friday evening. Vicar seemed quite happy to write reference letter based on that.
                    Indeed. The have mobile phones and sky TV to keep up!

Seriously - the church should accept those who only give 1p a week....

Comment

Working...
                    X