• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Much life left in contracting...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much life left in contracting...

So I have been doing some grim soul searching over the weekend and I am starting to think that we are running out of time.

The agents have all but killed the joys of finding the next deal.
    The growing prevalence of customers that think its ok to expect you to cram a 6 month job into a 3 month contract thanks to professional day. Had another agent on the phone yesterday inviting me to work 14 hour days for £400
    The general public are sharpening the pitchforks for PSC's
    Yet another load of crap about to be dumped on our shoulders thanks to son of ir35
    More and more rentabobs helping to make easy jobs stroke inducing

I am starting to think that if something positive doesn't happen soon I will be cashing out of IT for good.

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    So I have been doing some grim soul searching over the weekend and I am starting to think that we are running out of time.

The agents have all but killed the joys of finding the next deal.
    The growing prevalence of customers that think its ok to expect you to cram a 6 month job into a 3 month contract thanks to professional day. Had another agent on the phone yesterday inviting me to work 14 hour days for £400
    The general public are sharpening the pitchforks for PSC's
    Yet another load of crap about to be dumped on our shoulders thanks to son of ir35
    More and more rentabobs helping to make easy jobs stroke inducing

I am starting to think that if something positive doesn't happen soon I will be cashing out of IT for good.
    You could always find yourself a comfy niche.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      You could always find yourself a comfy niche.
      Plan B a career as a living statue? Not bad. You're already blue, so should ace the interview.

Comment

I haven't had to deal with recruitment agencies for some time now as I've been getting repeat work through a consultancy as an associate so don't know of the pitfalls that have opened up in that arena

Bobs can be irritating and frustrating to work with but they're not all bad. Find a role that requires good communication with leadership and you'll never be replaced by a bob

I am slightly concerned about son of IR35 but I can't see it killing contracting, might just reform it a little.
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

...and go where?

I think you'll find even though things are not as good as they were you'd be hard pressed to find as good an income.

400 a day that's £92000 gross income, you'd be lucky to get 50 grand elsewhere in any profession. and that 92 grand is taxed less than the 50 grand would be. Yes you to have pay an accountant, but that's about it.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Contracting continues to be lucrative and a tax efficient way to earn money. I'll continue until a better deal comes along or ideally until I've accumulated enough to
            ditch IT for good. Just another 18 months hopefully.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Have you got anything better to go to?

Since I started in computing there have always been issues. As one gets older one becomes less able to deal with them. One feels like telling the truth more often.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Contracting continues to be lucrative and a tax efficient way to earn money. I'll continue until a better deal comes along or ideally until I've accumulated enough to
                ditch IT for good. Just another 18 months hopefully.
                You've got to pay for a wedding and a divorce before you retire, sonny.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  ...and go where?

I think you'll find even though things are not as good as they were you'd be hard pressed to find as good an income.

400 a day that's £92000 gross income, you'd be lucky to get 50 grand elsewhere in any profession. and that 92 grand is taxed less than the 50 grand would be. Yes you to have pay an accountant, but that's about it.
                  I used to love working on computers, then I just about enjoyed it for a while, and now I barely see them as a means to an end, a necessary but unwanted access point for information. I can't think of anything better to do just yet (apart from lying on the beach), but if I wasn't getting paid a decent rate for what I do, I would also think seriously about dropping out of the IT game.

How Green Was My Valley (1941).
                  Last edited by ChimpMaster; 6 March 2012, 08:17.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                    I haven't had to deal with recruitment agencies for some time now as I've been getting repeat work through a consultancy as an associate so don't know of the pitfalls that have opened up in that arena

Bobs can be irritating and frustrating to work with but they're not all bad. Find a role that requires good communication with leadership and you'll never be replaced by a bob

I am slightly concerned about son of IR35 but I can't see it killing contracting, might just reform it a little.
                    There is much to be wary of if not worried about.
                    Each point on its own is probably navigable, but combined I see a difficult future (though I have never been called an optimist).
                    Son of IR35 hopes to achieve what IR35 failed to do. It is aimed at collecting more in tax from us. If it is successful then it will be double edged. It will catch more of us, but it will give a cleaner definition so will remove much of the FUD. **I said if successful.
                    With the certainty we will know if we are caught and will be able to set our rates accordingly.
                    This will in turn make us more expensive and in recent years I have seen rates falling, or at best keeping pace with inflation.
                    If clients continue to refuse to pay more then contracting will not be worth the effort. With a ready supply of cheap foreign labour why would clients continue to utilise us?
                    It is telling that the highly skilled migrant visa is under subscribed in the IT region whilst the ICT can not be accurately measured.
                    The ICT is a lucrative mechanism for UK companies who set up or buy a share in an offshore headlease business.
                    The EU has (according to the press) just agreed to take 30,000 more workers from India of which 12,000 are aimed at the UK.

I am not optimistic for the future, I am just hoping I can ride it out to retirement or a decent plan B presents itself.
                    Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Working...
                    X