• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lib Dems propose YET another tax..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lib Dems propose YET another tax..

Students should face paying council tax, Lib Dems say - Telegraph

Do they ever do anything except tell us we need another/increased tax?

I don't mind this one.

Removing another student subsidy.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
      I don't mind this one.

Removing another student subsidy.
      Personally I think education should be free - its the best way to get a highly educated workforce.

What I would like to do is to remove rubbish courses.

Comment

How do you define rubbish though?

The market ideally should decide. Hence why people should pay.

Comment

I was about to agree with Brillo, but you make a good point. I agree with you now!

Comment

If that theory held any water tesco extra value sausages would not exist. Letting the market decide all but guarantees a proliferation of cheap, worthless tulip education.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              If that theory held any water tesco extra value sausages would not exist. Letting the market decide all but guarantees a proliferation of cheap, worthless tulip education.
              Tesco value sausages will exist because there's a large market for them: people want cheap, grisly, crappy food.

Just as the home made hyperD classy Lobster, Beluga Caviar and Foie Gras sausage will exist because an, albeit smaller, market segment would buy it.

In this situation I would always buy the hyperD one, because I love quality food, until my money deflated away and I was forced to chow on the lips 'n' arrsholes one.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Students are supposed to share house, 3 people living together should be able to afford £30 per month council tax each if they can afford to pay £9k per year for studying.

Comment

The market ideally should decide.
                  Let's start with all those tens (hundreds?) of thousands of graduates that are unemployed.

Graduates in subjects which the market has decided are rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    If students had to pay something then this would ensure that they took what was being taught them seriously and I am afraid that this would not only drive up standards but also make providers and students focus on subjects that were more likely to yield jobs.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X