• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ed Miliband savaged during radio phone-in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed Miliband savaged during radio phone-in

Mr Miliband faced several personal attacks from callers to BBC Radio Five Live. He also endured the embarrassment of a caller mistaking him for his brother, David.

Despite opinion polls putting his party neck-and-neck with the Conservatives, the Labour leader has faced persistent questions about his performance since defeating his brother to take the leadership in 2010.

His appearance on the Victoria Derbyshire show today was meant to highlight his call for greater pride in British goods and manufacturers.

However, it rapidly became a litmus test of his personal appeal, as several callers strongly criticised his performance and abilities.

One caller told Mr Miliband he was “a laughing stock” who could not win the next general election.

Charles from Wakefield, who described himself as a life-long Labour voter, said Mr Miliband lacked credibility and was “unelectable”

He told Mr Miliband: “I don’t think people take you seriously. If Labour are going to win an election, it will be with someone else. “

He added: “You’re not going to be the Prime Minister of this country, by any stretch of the imagination and I’d put my life on that, that is not going to happen.”

Mr Miliband replied: “We’ll have to agree to disagree. I’m asking the questions that matter to people that matter around the country and I’ll keep doing that.”

Another caller, named as David, said Mr Miliband was putting people off the Labour Party.

“You fail to inspire, you fail to get people looking forward to getting out and getting the Labour vote out, it’s really bad what you’re doing, you’re not inspiring anyone, you’re making it hard for anyone to vote Labour."

“I don’t mean to be cruel, but it’s so important, the job that you have, and I don’t think you can do the job.”

Another caller, Gareth, referred to the Labour leader as “David Miliband”.

A fourth, named as Karen, highlighted Labour’s financial reliance on trade unions.

“His links with the unions are going to cause a problem getting middle class voters back,” she said.

Mr Miliband attempted to shrug off the criticism, but sometimes faltered in his attempts to disagree with his critics.

Later, he said: “That’s life. That’s what you come into this gig for.”

Mr Milband also said that he takes advice from former Labour leaders including Tony Blair. (AtW's comment: Eddie, next time you see Tony ask him why he uses so many corporate entities to obscure his earnings - tell him it makes him look like the he actually is )

“The advice he gives me is be yourself,” Mr Miliband said. “We don’t agree about everything but we agree on a lot.”

Asked if he took advice from Gordon Brown, Mr Miliband replied: “I talk to all the past leaders, but not that regularly.”

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Mr Miliband faced several personal attacks from callers to BBC Radio Five Live. He also endured the embarrassment of a caller mistaking him for his brother, David.

Despite opinion polls putting his party neck-and-neck with the Conservatives, the Labour leader has faced persistent questions about his performance since defeating his brother to take the leadership in 2010.

His appearance on the Victoria Derbyshire show today was meant to highlight his call for greater pride in British goods and manufacturers.

However, it rapidly became a litmus test of his personal appeal, as several callers strongly criticised his performance and abilities.

One caller told Mr Miliband he was “a laughing stock” who could not win the next general election.

Charles from Wakefield, who described himself as a life-long Labour voter, said Mr Miliband lacked credibility and was “unelectable”

He told Mr Miliband: “I don’t think people take you seriously. If Labour are going to win an election, it will be with someone else. “

He added: “You’re not going to be the Prime Minister of this country, by any stretch of the imagination and I’d put my life on that, that is not going to happen.”

Mr Miliband replied: “We’ll have to agree to disagree. I’m asking the questions that matter to people that matter around the country and I’ll keep doing that.”

Another caller, named as David, said Mr Miliband was putting people off the Labour Party.

“You fail to inspire, you fail to get people looking forward to getting out and getting the Labour vote out, it’s really bad what you’re doing, you’re not inspiring anyone, you’re making it hard for anyone to vote Labour."

“I don’t mean to be cruel, but it’s so important, the job that you have, and I don’t think you can do the job.”

Another caller, Gareth, referred to the Labour leader as “David Miliband”.

A fourth, named as Karen, highlighted Labour’s financial reliance on trade unions.

“His links with the unions are going to cause a problem getting middle class voters back,” she said.

Mr Miliband attempted to shrug off the criticism, but sometimes faltered in his attempts to disagree with his critics.

Later, he said: “That’s life. That’s what you come into this gig for.”

Mr Milband also said that he takes advice from former Labour leaders including Tony Blair. (AtW's comment: Eddie, next time you see Tony ask him why he uses so many corporate entities to obscure his earnings - tell him it makes him look like the he actually is )

“The advice he gives me is be yourself,” Mr Miliband said. “We don’t agree about everything but we agree on a lot.”

Asked if he took advice from Gordon Brown, Mr Miliband replied: “I talk to all the past leaders, but not that regularly.”

If labour voters hate him I am beginning to like the man
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Labour will win by default.

The Con Dems have turned off the Tory voters and the Lib Dem voters (who in their right mind would vote Lib Dem is beyond me).

Therefore the only people that will bother to vote are the Labourites.

Me, I'm sick of the mainstream s and from now on will only vote for fringe parties such as the UKIP.

Comment

About time Miliband apolized for the economic mess that Labour left the country in.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          About time Miliband apolized for the economic mess that Labour left the country in.
          He's a leftie loon, he blames Thatcher.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            He's a leftie loon, he blames Thatcher.

Even Alexei sayle dislikes him, and admits that his material wealth is courtesy of Maggie.

Alexei Sayle: 'I did think Ed Miliband a little fake’ - Telegraph

What does he think of Baroness Thatcher now? “Well, she made me very rich. She paid for all of this, really,” he says, motioning around his flat. “I remember a communist taxi driver saying that she was a fascist, and I said, 'Well, she ain’t really. What are you going to call the real fascists when they turn up?’ I mean, she was a democrat, constrained by all the checks and balances that we used to have before Tony Blair dismantled them [I think he hates Blair more than he ever did Thatcher]. And she didn’t sink the Belgrano by herself, did she? Everybody went along with it. I’m sure there was a tortured soul there, even when she was doing the terrible things she was doing.”
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Even Alexei sayle dislikes him, and admits that his material wealth is courtesy of Maggie.
              BBC surely?

Young ones were pretty good

Comment

These callers were probably plants by the tory machine. However I would rather have Thatcher than any of the current pussies.

Comment

If labour voters hate him I am beginning to like the man
                  Here, here. Great chap.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    who in their right mind would vote Lib Dem is beyond me
                    People who live in a marginal seat contested between Labour and Lib Dem where the torys don't stand a chance of winning
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X